All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 17:11 

My first time to coach a team. I played ball in High school. Bottom line the boys do not have much education on the game and are overweight not much stamina or endurance. We played our first game and the boys are very discouraged what can I do we can only have one practice for 2 hours a week and have another game Sat. Please help

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 18:13 

Lynn,

You have your hands full here.. and there is no magic potion to teach them the game in a few days. This is something that takes hours and hours of practice.

You have a tough combination here.... they don't know the game, they are over weight and out of shape..... in a game that they need to have all of the above.

For this group, I would make sure that they have FUN! Teach them the fundamentals of the game, a very simple offense and m2m defense.

Make your drils competitve and keep them short... make sure that you end every practice on a fun note. It IS very IMPORTANT that you keep a positive attitude and be very enthusiastic - they should follow suit. Talk about improving in little steps - after all, just like life, this game is a journey and not a destination.

If you look on the left in the menu area, there is a wealth of information there to help you coach this team.

Good luck, hang in there and God Bless you for coaching this team and if you have any other questions feel free to ask us.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 21:55 

With such a short amount of time to Saturday, I would work on defense. If they can play good defense, they can keep the game close. Good luck.