All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 12:28 

I know it may not happen this time as the league is right around the corner. Leagues more often DESTROY kids skills than improve them. Can you imagine what the parents would think if they knew (for the VAST MAJORITY) of their kids that they were actually damaging their kids chances for competitive growth by signing up for this league?

Read League Fatigue. Show as much patience as you can with the kids, avoid the competition, scrimmage internally all the time and see where the kids are in a few years. http://www.mybasketballbasics.com/bb/newsletter/leaguefatigue

GREAT comment from UCLA on this newsletter, good friends with Coach Wooden.

www.MyBasketballBasics.com

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 12:38 

Good thoughts coach...... maybe at the very least, a 3 on 3 league?? Gives t he kids more of the floor to work with, they will handle the ball more and probably get to shoot it a little more... and they should have more fun.

One thing I did in my summer camps was to (with 5 players) play a game to 6, everyone must score before anyone can make the final basket. Kids had a good time, they played more like a team because they had to make sure that everyone scored. Teaches team work and some leadership skills.

Another thought would be, 3 practices to every game played at the youth level? Practice time seems to be at a premium for youth players.

Just some random thoughts.