All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:38 

I am coaching a fairly athletic group of 5th graders that are focused on competing with their classmates. Most of them have not played much basketball but are quick and athletic. If in addition to making it fun and teaching the game, will we have more w's by focusing our practice on defense or offense. Of course we will work on both but it seems like most coaches are focused on scoring and I thought maybe we should really focus on a lock down man to man especially considering the athletic nature of the team.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:43 

Coach,
I wouldn't just focus on one aspect of the game. Your goal should be to teach them the game... fundamentals, offensive and defensive. I understand what you are saying, your strengths.... but you need to think about helping them to get to the next level... and to do that they need to understand offensive concepts also.
Teach both ends of the floor... the Ws will take care of themselves... and winning should not be the main focus here. If you went 30-0 and none of your kids made it to the next level would you be happy? I don't think so... and hey, I am a defensive guy too.... I love that part of the game.. but how many shutouts will you pitch?
Teach it all and God Bless you for teaching and coaching this age group.
Good luck!

Ken