All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 14:25 

Greetings;
I am a coach and director within a youth rec basketball league, and a coach on a school competitive team.
In the case of the rec league at the 5th / 6th grade level there is consideration for removing the 3-point shot. The argument against 3-point shots is that the players are not using good form and / or are simply coming down the court and launching instead of playing basketball. The former may be the case often times, however I personally have seen little of the latter, and if that occurs I feel that is a coaching issue (to stop that kind of play).
I am interested in hearing opinions as to whether the 3-point shot is appropriate for a 5th / 6th grade rec league. I will add that we have a limited number of practices, hence instructional time is already stretched in terms of covering fundamentals.
Thank you!
Rob

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 14:35 

While you might find a 5th or 6th grader here and there that might be able to shoot the 3.... the majority of the kids TRYING to shoot that shot will be HEAVING it up there and their form will go by the wayside.

I would hate to see them shoot the 3 and ruin their form... even if this is a rec league. I would hope that your goal would be to see them play at the next levels... and bad habits are hard to break. Keep them inside the arc or just say that there are NO 3 point shots, regardless of where you shoot it from. JMO

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 15:13 

Thank you, coach Sar! It is indeed my intention to have the kids continue to play basketball. Neither my co-coach nor I encourage 3-pointers. We agree with you -- it is typically put up with a heave, not a basketball shot.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 16:18 

Glad to hear that Rob -

I held several shooting camps for kids of all ages, boys & girls.... and I NEVER let the younger kids shoot the 3 ball. I kept those kids separate from the older ones that could shoot the 3.

NIce to see that there are still some coaches out there that understand what it does to a young kids shot and has their best interest at heart.

Love your Cardinal rule too.