All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 22:16 

Hi

coaching grade 7/8 girls team for the first time (first time coaching). We are 3 games into the season, things are not going well. Tried to set up a very simple offense, think you would call it a 3-2. The girls know it, during practice, but in games it all falls apart. Main issue is we can't bring the ball into the offensive zone effectively enough and if we do get into position to set up we throw most of the balls away, mostly due to panic. I've read some of the recomendations about going to a motion offense teaching bball skills and IQ rather than plays. I think I started out on the wrong track here but the season is short and we don't get a lot of practice time know that we are into the season. Should I consider dumping what we have done and switch or just stick with what we have and chalk it up as a learning year? Wanted development to be the focus and it is / all girls get close to equal floor time / but a little success would go a long way to encouraging the girls as well.
thanks, martin

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 14:12 

Martin,

This can be tough if they are nervous when they are trying to execute their offense. Make your practices harder than the games you play, put an extra defender on the floor so the girls have to work harder to get open.... then the person with the ball has to be ready to deliver it on time. You could use backscreens and then step out to get the ball entered... IF they don't give reverse help, that should result in backdoor lay ups. You can also use a dribble entry and have that person clear out to the other side or cut deep and come up near the lane to the top to balance the floor.

Keep your offense simple so they can really understand it and execute it without too much thought. I'm not sure what you are running but I'm not sure that dumping it would be wise right now... just find a way to help them get the offense started. Teach a lot of fundamentals - thats very important at this age.