All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 00:45 

First let me start by saying thanks for everything this website provides and thanks to all those who contribute. I coached basketball for the first time this year. I coached a fifth grade team and this past season we encountered a lot of aggressive zone defenses. We had a lot of trouble getting our half court offense started because the defense would deny the pass from the point guard to the wings. I played center my whole career so I have never experienced this problem before. We tried a lot of different things, but I was never satisfied with our performance. What do I need to know so I can teach my kids how to get the ball from the point guard to the wings?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 06:16 

First of all let me say that those coaches are NOT doing those kids any favors by playing zones.

IF they are denying the wings I would think that the middle is open - thats where I would look to pass it - I would look to attack the gaps also
off the dribble and kick it out or dump to a post player. What type of zone is this? You could dribble to the wing and have the wing player make a shallow cut and replace the point also.

Its hard to say without seeing that D. Let us know what the D is, I would imagine that its a 2-3.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 02:10 

Thanks for your response Coach Sar. I've been reading as much as I can here over the last six months so I'm on the same page as far as teaching basketball skills and man to man defense. Unfortunately the league I coach in is extremely competetive. We played against 2-3, 1-3-1, 2-1-2, 1-2-2, and 3-2 zones. A couple of the teams double team the ball everywhere it goes. Or imagine my brand new point guard bringing the ball up the court to find three defenders waiting for him at the half court line (no backcourt pressure). It's a new league and none of my players had ever played organized basketball before. The defenses are very agressive because they're trying to take advantage of our kids' inexperience and lack of ball handling skills. I know it's not a good situation for developing young players, but it's not a situation where I can take my team and find a different league to play in. I don't want to get into the politics, but the league is sponsored by the local school district.

I see your point about finding vulnerabilities in the zones. If they're taking away the wings, then they're leaving the middle vulnerable. We should look to attack the weaknesses in the zone. I got it. Now getting my kids to understand that and develping the necessary skills to take advantage of it is going to be a challenge.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 06:20 

I know that this is going to be difficult going against teams like that.... but as you put it, you need to help YOUR kids develop the skills necessary to play the game.... and get them ready to play at the next level. IF you can get your kids to understand WHY you are working so much on fundamentals... so they can make the 6- 7 -8th grade teams and hopefully play at the high school level, then you will have done a masterful job.

Keep up the good work, at least someone there has a handle on what is important in youth sports. TRAPPING 10-11 year old kids is NOT one of them. Perhaps you can e mail this site to the people who are in charge of the league. I wonder what the local high school coaches are thinking?

By the way, you can tell all those coaches that they get my vote for 5th grade coach of the year and 5th grade Hall of Fame. :-)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 18:03 

We went 4-4 this year. But the basketball gods were just. The team that won the campionship played man to man the whole season. It was obvious by their improvment over the course of the season that they worked on skills in practice. What impressed me most was their teamwork. They were playing at a level that no other team was able to match. It was nice to see a team that did it the right way go home with the big trophy.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 18:20 

Thats a decent year... and Kudos to that coach and you for teaching m2m all year long. Talk to your team about the way they went about playing the game... its always nice to be able to look at what someone else accomplished by hard work and team work.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 08:22 

Hey coach! Sorry to (kinda) hijack the thread, but I'm back with a follow up question regarding the defense playing pressure at the point. All the set plays we have, either 3 out 2 in or 1 out 4 across at the foul line, start out with the pt guard initiating. In the past you suggested rushing the ball up the side rather than bringing it up the middle. How would I adjust the initial configuration from the original set to the new set from which we would start the play. It's hard to easily describe without a way to post a diagram, but for example, the point is above the top of the foul line semi-circle, my wings, 2,3 are outside the 3pt line foul-line extended and my 4,5 are down on the blocks.
One play #2, starts with the 1 passing to the 2, 2 passes back, cuts down to the baseline and over to the 3 side of the floor near the corner. While he is cutting, the point passes to the 3 who passes to the 2 for the shot for the corner 3.
Play 3 is just the opposite...

So how would you suggest I adjust from a play initiated from the center to the side when the defense picks up at half court?

Thanks!

Mark

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:23 

If I am reading this correctly........ think about this... have your point drbble the wing out... the wing can make his cut as your point is dribbling his way... then the point can reverse the ball to the other wing player and he can pass to that cutter. That elimates one pass and should make the play work easier?

Are they trapping your point guard? If they are, you need to flash a player in the middle. Its hard to visualize what they are doing to you.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 11:20 

Thanks! Not so much a trap just a defender right at the halfcourt line. That really dicombobulates my point as he is still a little weak with the dribble and passing. He's very thin and weak physically, but as far as know the plays and directing his teammates to the proper places he's the best on the team.

Mark