All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 12:48 

I'll be coaching 11-12 year-old boys this summer. I plan to teach the 5-Cutters offense for many of the reasons discussed on this site. We'll have 9 boys on the team, so I'd like to encourage the kids to push the pace and get out in transition whenever possible so they at least work up a sweat before I have to sub them out. Does anyone have some advice for some simple rules for transition offense for this age group?

Also, any suggestions on how to best get into the 5-Cutters offense from our transition offense once the opportunity for a quick transition basket is gone? For example, should the players fill the nearest open spot on the perimeter, or should they have assigned positions 1 thru 5 and go to those spots in order to start the 5-Cutters?

Finally, I expect to play m2m defense with pressure on the ball as soon as it crosses half court, deny the pass 1 pass away, and be on the help line two passes away. Hoping to force some turnovers to get the transition offense started, and also learn help defense. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Coach Tom

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012, 06:58 
Site Admin

Personally I would run a numbered break (for me it seems easier with younger kids). Have your 5 sprint to the strong side block. They can look inside initially, then on the first pass 5 pops out to the open side to start cutters. You want to seamlessly flow from transition to your primary offense (no restarting to set up) so you keep pressure on their defense.

Rules are... if you have the advantage (2on1, 1on0, 2on0,3on2, etc), get a lay up. Attack and get the ball high on the glass, trailers REBOUND. If you don't have numbers, run to your transitions spots (numbered break), look for a quick easy shot inside, and if nothing is there immediately flow into cutters.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 05:35 

One suggesstion I might make is to reverse the ball IF you don't have the shot you want or a dump into the post. I have seen a lot of teams keep the ball to the right side of the court and never even look to the back side... which I see wide open. Then go into your offense? JMO

We ran a numbered break at times also and that was our rule... reverse the ball and see what you have, IF nothing, go into the offense. We useed the trailer as a reversal man.