All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 09:01 

Hi everyone,

First, some background. I am new at coaching basketball and have been working with a 7th grade team for the past couple of months. This is sort of hybrid recreation/competitive league with players of varying skills - basically, if you sign up, you're on the team. We are allowed only two 1.5 hour practice sessions per week, so time is a little limited.

Based on everything I'm reading (here and other sites), M2M seems to be the status quo for developing youth teams. I agree with the research I've done and have been pushing it since day one. However, my team seems to be struggling a bit with the concept (as am I in some coaching situations). Typically, everyone matches up with someone before the game starts. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes bad - I have 4 players who are a little slower than others, and struggle to keep up with their guy in most cases, when they are on court. They get pulled out and then beaten as their guy gets a pass and breaks for the basket. Alternatively, they are pulled out and we rarely have guys in the lane to pull down the rebounds. In some cases, I've had other teams switch their players from a post position to a PG or outside wing, thereby getting my kids to move into spots they may be uncomfortable with. The kids like to follow their guy and stick to them close...always. Or they get beat. We've played 4 other teams (their are 9 teams) who use zone defense. With that, and the speed/skill differences, this has aroused some comments from a couple parents (and kids), who have been suggesting zone play. The problem is, 6 out of my 10 kids really don't have the skill set to even play M2M effectively. And I certainly don't want them to stand around and get complacent (I already have that problem on offense...).

I really don't want to push zone defense, especially if I don't see them playing effective defense on M2M. I'd rather take the higher path, so I continue to push the M2M concepts and communicate the importance of strong defense. However, to overcome some of the players frustration, I've been tossing around the idea of them not matching up with a guy at the start. Instead, simply have them get down court, set up in a 3-2 or 2-3 arrangement (the initiation of a zone) just to get them in some form of help positioning. Then, when offense is setting up, they pick up somebody and stick with them in that possession. Are there any opinions on that thought? Or is this simply a matter of continuing to push and push and push the concepts of M2M defense and skills? What can I do about speed and/or skill mismatches?

Thanks,
Bryan

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 13:10 

BRYAN,

First of all its hard to teach anything with only two 1.5 hours of practice a week. IF you are trying to develop these kids into players.... then m2m is the way to go.... you have to decide what your philosophy is going to be.
1- Teach them the fundamentals of the game and get them ready to play at the next level.......... or
2- Play zones and do some junk stuff and win games.

You can play a pack style m2m which should even the playing field a little bit for your players. As for transitioning from offense to defense we taught our players to fill the paint first and then find their man, but never leave the man with the ball IF that's who you end up covering.

If it were me, with kids this age, I would continue to teach the m2m concepts and help them to become fundamentally sound. JMO

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 16:34 

I would start by emphasizing the need to play defense. After that becomes the focus you need to decide how you want your man to man defense to be played. Some will pressure others will sag a bit and prevent entry passes and blow bys. I have tried both and find the sag and help defense is great. It teaches man to man principles and allows some of the quicker kids to shoot the passing lanes if able and allows some of the slower kids to play good position defense and help when needed. All of the kids are then successful while playing man to man.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 22:38 

Stick with M2M. However, you need to teach them how to play it. Use a shell drill to teach them strong side/weak side, one pass, two pass away, and help concepts and how to position themselves. Then work on foot work to get them better at moving their feet -- I use a 2 on 1 closeout drill for this - make them work. Repeat each practice. Good luck.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011, 08:42 

Thanks for all the replies - you've confirmed what I had been thinking. We have been pushing the M2M the past couple of weeks and continuously remind the boys they need to step it up and keep up with who they're defending. I have also told them to move their butts down court on transition and close down the paint before offense gets there. That has been a big help and it seems they are starting to realize the benefits.

We will keep pressing forward! Thanks again!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011, 11:15 

I'd stick with the man d as well. I would teach them to not chase their players outside the 3 point line when the other team spots their inexperience and tries to spread the court. For players who are not as quick I'd have them give the offensive player an extra step to minimize the risk of being beat to the hoop. I would also put a major emphasis on help defense. At this age, the teams with the best help defense ultimately will have the best overall defense.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 07:38 

For most rec. players zone is the way to go because it is easier to learn and usually its is easier to win with a zone. Advance teams and players do need to learn man to man but in rec. where you may only coach 2 hours a week for 4 to 8 weeks it is usually better for the team to teach zone.

Most rec. teams only have 1 or 2 kids that will go on and play even middle school basketball so why tank the season for those 1 or 2 players. Do what is best for the team as a whole. For the advanced kids, they should be in an advanced league or travel team as well as a rec team so that they can get the advanced concepts.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 08:08 
Site Admin

Read this article about defense at the youth level and let us know what you think:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/defense/age.html

Also, the idea that you have to "tank the season" by going to man is a myth. I know for a fact you can succeed with man to man in a short amount of time and "rec level players". I have done it myself and know many other coaches that have as well. Yes, it does take a little longer and you need a little more patience that if you just run zone. But you can still have a good season without a doubt.