All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 20:37 

Please explain the "inside" "outside" foot terminology for me. What is meant by each? And I was also wondering about which is the left block and the right block. What is the official word on which is which? I asked this question of you once before and was told that as you face the basket the block on the right is the right block and visa versa. I had that set in my mind until yesterday while I was watching a Michael Jordan tutorial, he referred to "my" right block as the left. So now I'm confused again. But I guess if you're Michael Jordan It can me anything he wants to call it. Thanks, Dave

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 21:28 

I think it's easier to use Don Kelbick's terminology. It identifies foot based on situation.

Baseline foot: Pivot on the foot closest to the baseline.
Top Foot: Pivot on the foot closest to center court.

I always approached blocks on the basis of offense facing the basket. So when I face the basket from the top of the key, the right block is on the right side. The left block is on the left.

I wouldn't worry about what other people call it. Find a terminology that works for you and that your players remember.

Just some thoughts.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 00:52 

I always viewed the blocks when facing the basket. MJ begs to differ.

http://youtu.be/zm0hs6dzWPA?t=1m10s

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 09:16 
Site Admin

I think it depends on the coach. It varies. I have often heard the following...

- Inside foot is the foot closest to the basket. Outside foot is farthest from the basket.

- Inside and reverse pivot is the same thing. The swing foot is the foot closest to the defender/basket (inside the defender).

- Outside and front pivot is the same thing. The swing foot is the foot farthest from the defender/basket (outside the defender).