All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 18:12 

Co-coaching middle school girls the basics of basketball and I heard the other coach talk about the "3 second rule". Neither offense NOR defense is allowed in the key longer than 3 seconds.... Is this true for this age group? I had not heard this before, but have now heard it several times. Does this apply to kids younger than high school? If not at what age/school year does it apply.. I don't want to disadvantage our defense if no one else is doing this..... I will find out in ten days, at our first game, but would like to know ahead of time!!!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 18:42 

Coach,

Unless it is a league specific rule, the defensive rule is INCORRECT.

Yes, an offensive player must vacate the lane after 3 seconds. Otherwise, it is a violation and a turnover.

Defense can stay in the lane as long as they want. Defensive 3-seconds is an NBA only rule. It does not apply to colleges on down. (Unless they changed it and I hadn't heard. )

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 05:44 
Site Admin

I agree with Brian on this. I have never heard of a defensive 3 second rule in anything excel the NBA. However it could be unique to your school and/or state. Check with the varsity high school coach. He/she should know if there is a unique rule in your area.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 08:13 

I 'm not sure where I saw this video but they did have a 3 second defensiv e rule. The coach told me that they made that rule to make sure that NO ONE was playing any zone or trying to disguise it. Thie was for younger kids and I have never seen it around here and certainlu NOT at the high school level. GREAT defensive teams play GREAT helpside DEFENSE!

Check the rule out with the league administrators.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2014, 18:03 

Coach Sar wrote:
Check the rule out with the league administrators.
Yep. Sounds highly unlikely that a 3 second defense rule would be applied in middle school. I bet you could find your league's rules somewhere online.