All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 14:38 

My son now is in 5ht grader's competitive team @YMCA. He now has pretty solid skills such as dribbling, shooting (jump shots and layups) with about a year of personal/private training.

He is relatively tall in his team. So he has never played as point guard. He usually plays 3,4 or 5. When his team is on offense, he always runs towards the left corner between baseline and sideline on his goal side. then he stand there and raise one hand for receiving a pass. To me that is a dead corner. I didn't know why he would go there. he said one time his coach told him to move away to 'decoy' defender from the basket to allow other players to score. He remembers that forever. Of course, no one passes to him into the dead corner (no one in his team can shoot a 3 pointer). As a result, he rarely gets his ball from someone passing to him though he gets rebounds occasionally.

The volunteer coach started to teach plays (such as motion offense). But it's not well established yet. It's pretty much players running around at this point. A couple of players in the team seem to always be able to at the 'right' place to receive passes. But they rarely score because of poor shooting skills. My son on the other hand doesn't get to show his skills because he rarely gets the ball passed to him. He does get the ball from rebounding. For defensive rebounding, he immediately passes out anyways though there are opportunities he can get out of the paint himself very easily.
I know he needs to be more aggressive and confident. But shouldn't he stay closer to the ball or 'middle line' to get a better chance for receiving a pass?
Do you guys have any tips for players (playing 3,45) to receive more passes? Bear in mind we are not talking about these guys having a very disciplined approach for text book plays yet.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:06 
Site Admin

It'a hard to give advice without knowing the offense, what they are running, or what the coach is telling them.

There are lots of fundamental aspects for getting the ball and getting open. But for a young kids like this, maybe the best thing is to just tell him to go set lots of screens and after screening, open up to the ball. One of the best ways to get open is screen for someone. Example. If he sets a good back screen, the person he screened should cut to the basket. Then most likely the screener will be wide open. (Screen and find an open spot -- go to the ball with hands out calling for it.)

Now if the coach doesn't want him setting screens or has a pattern he wants him to run, then that might not work. In that case he'll just need to get better at cutting and running the offense.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:20 

Michael...

This tough because of what the coach is telling him...BUT... Let's start with an offensive rebound. If he gets a rebound he should take it right back up. Tell him not to lower the ball, just right back up. He can give a head or ball fake, but take it up and score.

I'm not so sure I would want a player there unless he is a dead 3 point shooter. He can take his man low and then cut back to an open area to make himself available. I'm not sure what his coach wants but what I said is Basketball 101

Do the play vs zones or m2m? If it is a zone, find the open spot on the floor. ( can be called gaps, windows or passing lanes )
If it is m2m, then he needs to move with a purpose, set his defender up and cut to an open place on the floor.

Without knowing what they are doing, that's the best way that I can explain it. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:36 

Thanks Coaches Jeff and Sar for replying.
I don't think it's coach's intention for him to stay in that corner. I think one time, he was told to go there and then it stucks in his mind now.
After the game last week, I asked his coach about why my son always goes to that corner. The coach actually said that my son was supposed to set up a screen first. of course, My son didn't do that either.

The teams play zones. some teams have been playing in the competitive teams since grade 3. so they play zones well. Most of the teams run 3-out,2-in motion offense and full-court press defense.

Our team just started this winter in the competitive division and they are still learning and it's not pretty:-).

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 16:00 

Pressing and playing zones at that age is ridiculous for one.

Remind him about setting the screen and then use Jeff's suggestion about opening up to the ball... He will be open.