All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 23:31 

Got the 60 fun drills book and planning to do the Ultimate Basketball drill this week in practice with my 5-6th grade co-ed team.

I played ultimate frisbee so the drill caught my attention. I want to stress passing this week.

Just wondering the original intent of the game from your perspective. Do you play it just like Ultimate Frisbee and change possession when it hits the ground or allow bounce passing?

Thanks. Great web site!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 06:20 
Site Admin

Coach - The Ultimate Basketball drill is one of my favorite. I'm not sure how you play ultimate frisbee so I can't comment on that.

The drill is played just like a game but players are not allowed to dribble. I play this game at the 2nd grade level all the way to our high school team. We play it as half court 3on3, full court 3on3, 4on4, and 5on5. The drill helps with...

- teaching players how to get open (cut, screen, change speeds)
- teaches players to meet their pass (I take points away for turnovers with the older kids)
- teaches kids to face the basket in triple threat
- cuts down on turnovers
- improves passing
- pass fakes
- pass away from defense
- improves offensive spacing

It's just a great teaching tool to teach players how to play. Really helps our offense, passing, and ball security. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 07:34 

Hi Coaches,

There is nothing wrong with removing the ability to dribble from many offensive drills. All the points stated above can be found in this type of scenario. It works just as well for junior or senior teams in promoting spacing, player movement and reducing over dribbling.

Additionally, you can also limit the amount of dribble players can make to allow of ball movement through the dribble but in a more specific or controlled way. For example players can only take a one dribble when moving towards the basket...

Another example might be the team can only take five dribble per possession in the full court.

Regards

Functional Basketball Coaching
Twitter: @funbballcoach

Like Us on Facebook TODAY!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 07:53 

Great post Jeff!

We ran a lot of no dribble drills..... and since we ran an open post offense it really helped our players to do everything you said... and allowed them to JUST PLAY without thinking too much, the more they have to think the slower their feet get.