All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 13:04 

Hi, I have a 2nd grade team, and I am trying to decide the number of times per week to practice. Last year, we practiced once a week for an hour. I think I could teach the kids much more by adding another practice per week. I am concerned about over scheduling because most of the boys play indoor soccer and other sports.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 13:15 
Site Admin

I will be coaching my daughters 2nd grade team this year. We will be practice for one hour twice a week. It will all be lots of fun and no 5on5 games. For games we just invite other teams, split them in two, and play all 3on3. We get two games going at the same time. This allows them to get more touches on the ball and develop skills quicker.

I think twice a week is fine as long as it's made fun for them.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 13:26 

Kelley -

I'm assuming you're playing in a YMCA type league at 2nd grade? The 1 hour practice per week is pretty typical at that age. Not sure I'd "schedule" two practices per week, however, you could have a second practice every once in a while when it fit with everyone's schedule. Simply because it appears players have other activities. Another thing you can do is assign some simple homework each week (e.g. dribble in your driveway with r and l hand for 5 minutes everyday, sit on your back and shoot in air, etc.) At 2nd grade, you'll probably need to dial back your expectations and keep it on the fun side of things.

I like Jeff's comment about 3 on 3. Highly recommend that because of the ball touch aspect. Back in 2nd grade, I used to track how many passes my kids made in a game as a team. We'd go to a dollar store and get some goofy toy/candy. I'd set a goal of how many total passes needed in a game and if they achieved it, they got what was in the bag. You'd be amazed how many passes a team can get in one game. We'd also tell them how many passes before a shot type thing. I think it's real important do things like that at the 2nd grade level or some kids will rarely touch the ball.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 16:20 

I think two practices a week would be fine... as long as they are having fun at this age, thats the most important thing.,

Jeff's idea about inviting other teams and playing a lot of 3 on 3 games is a great idea.