This is an extremely challenging drill for players of all levels (including professionals). However it has a steep learning curve and all players adapt quickly as long as they use proper technique. This drill improves dribbling, passing, hand strength, weak hand, and confidence.
- Players are paired and placed about 8 feet apart. One player has a ball. To start, player puts the left hand behind his back.
- On command, "Pound," player dribbles the ball one time, as hard as he can. Ball should not come above the waist. He also must catch it with the same hand he dribbled with. Repeat several times to create a level of comfort. Give the ball to the other player and repeat.
- Repeat the drill with the left hand with the right hand behind his back.
- Ball goes back to first player. On the command,"Pound," player dribbles one time as hard as he can. On the command, "Pass," player passes with the same hand he caught the ball with. Repeat with other player.
To do this drill by yourself, use a wall.
- As drill progresses, you can give multiple, "Pound," commands before calling "Pass" and you can adjust the speed in which you call the actions.
- Players must maintain an athletic stance so they are able to get their legs into the pass.
- Only one hand is used to dribble, pass and catch
- Recover the dribble in the finger tips
- Get your hand behind the ball to pass and follow through to your target
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO LOSE THE BALL!
Ball Handling Workout App
Baden Heavy Training Basketball - 29.5"
Baden 35" Oversized Training Basketball
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please post them below...