Basketball Defense & Agility Drill: Diamond Drill
This agility drill will help improve your players' quickness and speed. It's great because it involves the basic movements of basketball with sliding, running, and back pedaling.
- Players will start underneath the hoop.
- On the whistle, the first player will sprint to half-court.
- Once the player gets to half court, the player will slide diagonally where a cone or some sort of marker should be sitting. Make sure that the players are using a proper defensive slide: butt low, head up, hands out, chest out, good balance, and don't bring the feet together when sliding.
- Once the player gets to the cone, (s)he will perform a defensive drop step and slide to his left to where he started.
- When underneath the hoop, the player will turn and backpedal as fast as possible to half court.
- Once at half court, the player will slide to his left as quickly as possible to a cone that should be located on the opposite sideline.
- Once the player reaches the sideline, (s)he does a defensive drop step and slides as quickly possible towards the hoop.
- Repeat the drill as necessary if you want to condition your players.
Continually tell your players...
- Keep their butts down when sliding.
- When sliding, keep their arms out.
- When back pedaling, the player should slightly lean forward.
- Work! Work! Work! The players can not lolly gag through this drill otherwise it will not benefit them as much as it should.
Motivation / Teaching Tips
Tip #1 - Player should always be facing half court when performing the defensive slide.
Tip #2 - If you want to keep it competitive, you can get out a stop watch and time every kid. You could also do relays. Split into two groups. Once the first player gets done, the second starts and so forth.
Tip #3 - If you need to get through this drill quickly, you can start each player after the player in front reaches the three point line.
More Basketball Defense Drills
Basketball Defense Drills Page
eBook with 67 Basketball Defense Drills
Recommended Training Material:
|SKLZ Agility Cones - 20 2" cones|
You can use the SKLZ cones for ballhandling drills, agility drills, shooting drills, defining boundaries for drills, creating grids, and much more. Agility cones features: Multiple high- visibility colors for marking training areas, Durable, will not break when stepped on. Includes: 20 cones – 5 each: yellow, black, white & orange, Carry rack for easy transport and storage...(more info)
Do you have any suggestions or questions for this drill? Let us know by leaving your comments...