Basketball Charging Foul Drill #2
This is a great drill that will teach your kids how to take a charge under a game-like situation. This will force your player to hustle to stop the ball and get under control instantly, so he/she can take the charge.
- You will have a line of players on the wing.
- The defensive player will be underneath the hoop. He'll pretend that he is guarding a player on the opposite wing.
The defensive player should be in proper help side position. I prefer to have my player on the rim line in this situation.
Others like their players with one foot in the lane.
- The player with the ball on the wing (Player 2) will drive baseline. To make it more realistic,
I also place a player on the opposite wing (Player 1).
- The defensive player #1 should slide to stop the ball. He/she needs to be in good defensive position, so he can take the charge.
- The offensive player bumps into the defensive player. The defensive player should let out a yell "Uh!!!" and fall under control
backwards onto his/her butt.
Tip #1 - If a player does not do this right, make him do it until he does. If he does not do it right, make sure to instruct him how to do it correctly. If the player does it again, but you do not tell him what he is doing wrong, he'll continually do it wrong and get discouraged.
Tip #2 - If a player does this drill correctly, you should make sure to applaud him/her. If a player takes a charge on his/her own during a scrimmage, stop the scrimmage and congratulate them. Other players will see this and want to do the same. If they take a charge during a game, make a point to mention it during the next practice. This will get your players in the right mind-set.
More Basketball Defense Drills
Basketball Defense Drills Page
eBook with 67 Basketball Defense Drills
Do you have any suggestions for this drill? Let us know by leaving your comments and questions...