How Do You Handle Slow Players In The Back Of Your Zone Defense?
As with a lot of things it depends on a series of factors and the team you are playing. Here are some ideas that might help you...
1) Play your quicker guard on the same side as your slowest forward.
2) Make sure the forwards are ALWAYS in their stance or they will be slower in movement.
3) If the opposition is more dangerous on the perimeter than inside, then move the forwards wider to start.
4) If the opposition is more dangerous on the inside than on the outside, then be late to the shooters but still have a hand up.
5) Are the perimeter players mainly shooters or drivers? One of the bigger problems with slower players in trying so hard to get to the shooter is that they give up penetration for better shots or foul trouble for the center.
6) If they are tall they do not have to get as close to the shooters as long as they have a hands up on the shooter. However, if they are both slow and short that can be a deadly combination.
7) Work on anticipation. It is easier to improve mental quickness than foot quickness.
8) Develop and/or recruit better athletes!!
Hope this helps.
Related Pages and Helpful Resources
Zone Defense Concepts & Tips
2-3 Zone Defense Basic Rotations
1-3-1 "Lob Pass" Zone Defense
Thoughts on Rebounding in the Zone
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...