Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Essential Youth Skills & Decision Making Camp
Coming to Mercer Island, Washington!
August 7 - 9, 2018
Elite Skills Coach Nate Bowie!
We're excited to provide this 3 day youth and middle school camp in Mercer Island, Washington that focuses on developing the complete player. You will develop shooting, ball handling, passing, footwork, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and other essential skills to become a great a basketball player.
- You will learn the techniques and skill needed to become a great shooter.
- You will learn the essential skills to becoming a great ball handlerů no fluff.
- You will learn how to make more lay ups.
- You will learn how to become a defensive stopper and rebounding machine.
- You will learn the critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
- Basically, we will teach you all of the critical skills and concepts that coaches love and help players excel.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Dribbles move to help you blow by the defense at will.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers and make more shots.
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
Defense and Rebounding
- How to improve quickness and play better on-ball defense.
- How to improve speed with hip-turns, push step, and better movement fundamentals.
- 5 fundamental keys to effective close-outs.
- How position away from the ball and be a great team defensive player.
- How to effectively box out your man every time.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- How to attack down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- How to utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills with the Steve Nash passing series.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is fun and intense.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Players earn points for proper play and are deducted points for poor effort and execution.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Nate Bowie?
Coach Nate Bowie is currently an assistant men's basketball coach at Mt. Hood Community College outside Portland, Oregon. Coach Bowie has been involved with Breakthrough Basketball for the last three years, assisting at camps around the Kansas City area, as well in Portland.
Coach Bowie played eight years of professional basketball in Africa, Canada, Europe, the Middle East and the United States. He played in NBA D-League, Canada, NBA Summer League, Morocco, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal, Qatar, The Republic of Georgia, Ukraine, Turkey, Greece and Kosovo (Balkan League).
Nate was named 1st Team All-Metro, 1st Team All-State and was the 5A Sub-State Champion in Kansas in 2004 before finishing fourth at the state championships.
During the 2004 season, Bowie scored 42 points in a game to break the single game record held previously by NBA veteran Earl Watson.
After high school, Bowie attended Colby Community College (CCC) where he led the conference in scoring and was second in the region with 20.8 points per game. While at CCC, he received NJCAA First Team All Jayhawk Conference, All-Region and was an All-American nominee. From 2004-2006 Bowie attended Central Arkansas University. As a senior, he averaged 17.5 points per game and 20.3 points in Southland Conference action earning the conference scoring title. On February 2, 2008, he scored 39 points in a win against Nicholls State, surpassing Scottie Pippen for the most points scored in a conference game. Bowie earned NCAA D-1 All Southland Conference 2nd Team honors and was an NCAA All-American. At the end of his college career, Rand Chappell described Bowie's career as "solid, and sometimes spectacular."
He was inducted into the Hall of Fame for Colby Community College/Jayhawk Conference in 2016.
Tuesday August 7, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Wednesday August 8, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Thursday August 9, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 60 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
Mercer Island Community & Event Center
8236 SE 24th St.
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
Players - Sign Up Now to Reserve Your Spot:Fill out this form to sign up and reserve your spot:
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Nate Bowie, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.