Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Elite Youth Scoring & Playmaking Camp
July 6 - 8, 2018
Elite Skills Coach Rustin Dowd!
You improve your shooting, ball handling, passing, athleticism footwork, decision-making, and 1 on 1 moves to take your game to the next level.
You will learn
- Game like shooting drills to drive up your shooting percentage.
- How to create more uncontested shots with dribble moves that create at least 2-3 feet of separation from your defender.
- Advanced hand-eye coordination and ball handling drills that will accelerate your feel for the basketball. These drills will make dribbling during game situations feel easy.
- How to develop an explosive first step. This is probably one of the most important aspects of being a playmaker, but it is rarely broken down and taught properly. Learn about the proper shin angle, head position, shoulder position, and hip position.
- Advanced finishing moves will be taught, such as finishing with the inside hand, wrong/goofy foot, taking away defenders angle by using the rim and making a defender go through you to get a traditional 3 point play.
- Critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
- How the top pros create advantages which allow them to make plays for themselves and their teammates.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Live ball moves to help you blow by the defense at will. You will learn how to shift (or setup) the defender with your body and feet.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to stay in attack mode, dictate the tempo, and control the defense.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers, finish over larger players in the paint, and make more shots.
- How to finish through contact
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- Attacking down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to score and make plays using ball screens. Learn how to run defenders into screens and make lightning quick decisions.
- How to use dribble hand off actions to attack the defense and put them in a constant disadvantage.
- How to use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- Utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills that make players like Chris Paul one of the best playmakers in the game.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
- How to be strong and pass out of double teams and traps.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is a way fun to improve through competition.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Point systems are set up, so players develop great habits that will help them succeed at the next level.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for both boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Rustin Dowd?
Rustin became a great player while at MidAmerica and says he owes a lot of that to Coach Hepker, Coach Keeley, Coach Fleming and Hall of Fame Coach Rocky Lamar.
- 2 Time NAIA DI All-American
- Heart of America Conference Player of the Year
- Helped his team win Conference Title and Conference tournament Title
- Scored over 2000 points in his college career
- Named Champion of Character Award winner
- Played Professionally in Australia
- Averaged 19 points per game while playing professionally in Australia
- Was awarded Golden Hands Award for the Werribee Devils
- Had the opportunity to run his own camps in Werribee, Australia.
Friday July 6, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Saturday July 7, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Sunday July 8, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 60 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
The camp has 11 spots left.
Mid America West Sports Complex & Okun Fieldhouse
20200 Johnson Dr
Shawnee, KS 66218
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
Players - Sign Up Now to Reserve Your Spot:Fill out this form to sign up and reserve your spot:
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Rustin Dowd, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.