Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Ball handling, Shooting & Decision Training
Camp in Austin, Texas!
August 8-10, 2017
Elite Skills Coach Jamal Edwards!
We're pleased to announce that we have arranged for Jamal Edwards to come to Austin, Texas to run a 3-day skill development camp for high school, and middle school players. Coach Edwards has developed a very effective method to develop players and improve their decision making.
What Will Players Get out of the Camp?
Here's a brief summary of what you'll get out of this 3-day camp...
Improve Your Ball handling
Considerable time will be spent on your dribbling and passing skills -- allowing you to reduce turnovers, handle any game situation, improve decision making, and improve overall ball handling skill.
Improve Your 1on1 Moves
You will learn how to beat your defender off the dribble, when to attack, how to create space, and how to develop a more explosive first move. In today's game, so many players misuse the dribble. They use it and lose their advantage against the defense. You will learn how to effectively use the dribble and cover more space with fewer dribbles at a faster pace.
During the camp, Coach Edwards will teach the mental aspects of the game, help you build confidence, and become more aggressive. You will learn how to train your mind not just physical skills.
Improve Decision Making
A major emphasis of the camp will be to improve decision making using Chris Edwards BDT (Basketball Decision Training) methods. You will improve your ability to think and act in decisive ways. The unique decision making drills and skills will help you perform under pressure at the highest level.
Shooting is a critical skill to be an effective player. You'll learn Jamal Edwards keys to effective shooting and experience a variety of shooting drills to help you improve accuracy and ability to score points.
Become More Aggressive
One of the biggest benefits to the BDT training camp is the development of a confident attacking mindset. The drills, tools, and knowledge you'll receive at the camp will help you become more aggressive and assertive in games.
Improve Speed & Agility
Throughout the camp, Coach Edwards will integrate speed and agility drills to help you improve defense, your first step, and overall agility.
With a ball in your hands throughout most of the camp, you'll get opportunities to improve your finishing moves and ability to finish at the basket. You'll learn what to do with the ball after you beat your defender and how to score more points.
Campers will leave with a better sense of self and a better understanding of what it takes to be successful in basketball and, in turn, every aspect of life. We will address technical, tactical and applied aspects of basketball that will help a player develop their game beyond the level they are currently at.
What is BDT (Basketball Decision Training)?
In this 3-day camp you will improve your overall skills like ball handling and shooting -- however a big emphasis of the camp will be "decision making"...
Players will learn when to pass, when to shoot, when to dribble, when to drive, angles to take, how to be more aggressive, and more.
The BDT methods will:
- Train the mind of players to make faster decisions within the practice environment
- Improve the ability to think and act in decisive ways
- Develop a confident attacking mindset
- Learn how to train your mind not just physical skills
- Identification, cause and correction of the most common fundamental errors
- Knowledge of the skills necessary to catch, shoot, dribble and attack on offense
- Game-like understanding of the application of perimeter offensive skills
During the camp, Coach Edwards will use decision training drills and rhythm clapping to enhance the teaching of basketball's most important offensive skills - shooting, passing, dribbling and 1 on 1 moves. Combining decision training with rhythmic clapping enhances the learning experience for the player due to:
- Increases in motivation
- Stimulation of creativity
- Development of an awareness of basketball rhythm
- Repetition of all the fundamentals without getting bored
- Work is done with effortless concentration
- Development and refinement of basketball skills at game speed
- Awareness of the continual possibility of improvement
Coaches will promote a fun and safe environment that encourages positive and purposeful learning experiences.
Unique Camp that Gets Results
As you can see, this is a unique camp that will be unlike other camps you've been to. The use of BDT methods, and Jamal Edwards unique style, makes for a VERY intense yet fun atmosphere.
We have chosen this camp and Jamal Edwards because of his quality training methods and ability to get results.
More than other traditional camps, this camp will provide you with the drills and skills to continue your development beyond your time at camp. BDT drills will be used to build the ideal camp learning environment. You will learn by doing. We will teach you to consistently and deliberately work to improve your performance.
Who is the Camp For?
The camp is for boys and girls from 7th grade to 12th grade.
This is for SERIOUS basketball players that want to get better. You can play games anywhere, so we focus on things you can't just pick up anywhere. We focus on developing skills that will make you better!
Coaches that want to learn and pick up new drills can also observe for a small fee (coaches can find more info below).
Where is the Camp?
The camp is located at the Round Rock Sports Center in Round Rock, TX.
Who is Jamal Edwards?
Coach Jamal Edwards has had the opportunity to learn the BDT concepts from our very own Coach Chris Oliver who has put on over 100 BDT Camps throughout the United States. Jamal's road to how he got to this point in his life is outlined below.
- During a basketball course in his senior year of college, Coach Edwards had an assignment to teach one offensive drill and one defensive drill to a group of classmates. His group consisted of international students with no experience in basketball and English was their 2nd language. He felt at ease instructing his group through the drills, and it was from that experience he realized his true calling, “coaching”.
- Coach Edwards was invited back to be an assistant coach at his alma mater (University of Windsor) and wasted no time in making an immediate impact. Under the guidance of current Head Basketball Coach Chris Oliver, Coach Edwards mastered the key components of Oliver's Basketball Decision Training (BDT) and was responsible for player development and recruiting.
- Having a desire to give back to those who gave so much to him, Coach Edwards started the Taylor Made Basketball Academy (2005) in efforts to give the kids from his hometown the same instruction he was exposed to.
- After executing many successful events through the Taylor Made Basketball Academy, Coach Edwards realized teaching fundamentals and discipline needed far longer than a 3-5 day camp to make a lasting impact in the lives of youth. Now he's offering programs targeting underserved communities (inner city, rural, international and military youth), through Taylor Made Prep in Phoenix, AZ (2014).
- Coach Edwards is committed to spreading his passion for academics, athletics, and the benefits of organized sports from the grassroots level to his post graduate college sports prep program.
- He has played at Alpena Community College, University of Minnesota- Crookston, the University of Windsor, and in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria
- Coach Edwards has worked camps throughout Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa (Breakthrough Basketball), Kentucky, Arizona, and Ontario, Canada.
- In addition to coaching at multiple levels (College Basketball, AAU, Nike Elite Training Programs), Coach Edwards has trained and developed multiple Division I student athletes.
- Coach Edwards has a bachelor’s degree in Communications from the University of Windsor and is currently pursuing his Master’s in Sports Management at American Public University.
Tuesday August 8, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Wednesday August 9, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Thursday August 10, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 60 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
The camp is SOLD OUT!
Round Rock Sports Center
2400 Chisholm Trail
Round Rock, TX 78681
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.