How to Play Better Basketball
Step #1 - Do a self-assessment of your current skills and knowledge.
There are several things to consider; such as dribbling, passing, shooting, screening, cutting, pivoting, rebounding, offensive tactics, defensive tactics, and mental habits. These can be broken down more specifically, too.
- For instance, can you dribble well with either hand, or are you one-handed?
- What kinds of passes have you mastered? Again, can you pass equally well with either hand?
- What shots have you learned? What about range? Can you shoot equally well from any spot on the floor, or do you have problem areas?
Step #2 - Pick out a couple of developmental areas to focus on.
Pick the areas that will give you the best return on effort. If you're already a decent passer, but you can't shoot a lay-in with your off-hand, then focus on your off-hand lay-in before working on behind-the-back passes. You will make better progress if you work on a few specific areas at a time. Trying to improve everything all at once will be overwhelming.
Actually, your coach is an excellent resource to help you select areas that will be of most benefit to you and your team. Ask your coach for specific suggestions about which skills to work on.
Step #3 - Find expert guidance materials for your developmental goals.
On the internet, you will be able to find all the information you need to begin working on your developmental targets. Our website is devoted to basketball and provides great suggestions and resources for working on your goals. Be sure to investigate the many excellent sub-sections to gain a complete understanding of what we have to offer.
Step #4 - Establish a practice schedule and stick to it.
This is where the rubber hits the road. If you want to improve, then you need to commit the time and effort. Start with a commitment that you can live up to. Steady practice over time works better than occasional bursts.
With a little organized effort, you will find it easy and rewarding to commit to constant improvement in the great game of basketball. Take advantage of the expert advice and great products available one this website...
Here are two sections that would be especially useful for learning how to play better basketball. Start your improvement process by visiting these informative links!
1) A Free Player Report written by an NBA Player Development coach: https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/toptips.html
2) A Fundamentals section: https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/basketballfundamentals.html