5 vs. 4 Defensive Disadvantage Drill
Ages: All Ages Youth Middle School High School+
Purpose of the Drill:
This drill is from the Rich Stoner Coaching Clinic.
The purpose of this drill is to teach the players how to defend in a disadvantage situation by forcing them to rotate defensively in order to match up with the appropriate offensive player.
- The first pass can be made to any offensive player except number 5 in the post.
- All the defensive players react to the pass by moving into help positions. The offensive player guarding the man that has the ball closes out.
- Then it becomes a live game.
- Here the players have rotated in order to leave the furthest man from the ball open and guard the men closest to the ball.
Points of Emphasis:
- Sprint to closeouts. It is the only way that you can defend effectively in this drill.
- Communicate! When playing down a man, communication becomes even more important.
- Guard the men closest to the basketball and leave the furthest man from the ball open.