Ages: All Ages Youth Middle School High School+
Purpose of the Drill:
This is a great drill to teach players how to move and get open. Eliminating the dribble makes it necessary for receivers to find passing lanes and passers must learn to pivot and find the receiver.
- Players play 3 on 3 full court with NO DRIBBLE (like playing with a flat ball)
- Receivers should go somewhere, plant, and cut back *through the ball*
- Defenders need to deny the pass (there's no need to help - the offense can't dribble)
- Players with the ball must continue to pivot and protect the ball, while looking for teammates and new passing angles.
- Receivers must continue to move, cut, screen, and create passing outlets and come to meet the ball
- Players should look to make aggressive cuts and work hard to continue to advance the ball up the floor.
- Receivers need to be aware of drifting too far away and making the pass a long, unsafe pass
- In the front court players need to work to get in a position to create scoring opportunities
- Once in the attacking zone the offense should look to score
- You may allow one dribble in the key when a player is trying to score.
Points of Emphasis:
- Passes must be crisp, hitting the target hand.
- Receivers must continue to work and move to get open
- Receivers should continue to their cut *through the ball* until they make the catch
- Important for the offense to pivot and protect the ball by "ripping it through" or "sweeping it low" to keep it away from the defenders hands.
- Younger players may take one dribble to improve a passing angle.
- If the defense intercepts they try to go the other way and score in the same manner at their basket.
- 1st team to score wins.
- Advanced players can use a “heavy ball” or medicine ball to increase the workout.
- MY ALL TIME FAVORITE DRILL!
- This is a high effort/high energy drill and players feed off the coach.
- From the coaches throughout the drill you'll hear words of encouragement, hustles, and trigger phrases like "Pivot!", "Move!", "Rip through", "Passing Angles", "Sweep""Nice Cut!", "Work!", "Good pass!". Meet the ball!", "Great job!", etc.