Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Footfire Closeout Drill
Ages: All Ages Youth Middle School High School+
Purpose of the Drill:
The purpose of this drill is to teach players to have active feet at all times on defense, close out properly, and retreat back to a middle closeout.
- Defensive players start in the lane, matched up with their corresponding offensive player.
- When the coach says "GO," the defensive players begin to footfire.
- When the coach says "GO" again, they closeout on their offensive player.
- Each offensive player has a ball. While on the offensive player, the defensive player should shadow the basketball with his hands and continue to have active feet.
- When the coach says "GO" again the defensive player should drop step, pivot, and sprint back to his original spot in the lane.
- Immediately begin to footfire again and be ready to repeat the sequence.
Points of Emphasis:
- Sprint to close out with active feet and active hands.
- Closeout high side to force the offensive players toward the cones (diagram). Do not allow middle penetration.
- Shadow the basketball with your hands.
- Drop step, pivot, and sprint back to middle closeout.