Sideline Play - Celtics Handoff
Ages: All Ages Youth Middle School High School+
This is a great sideline out of bounds play used by the Boston Celtics that has multiple options to keep the defense guessing.
I found this play on Raul Jimenez's blog.
1 - Good ball handler decision maker.
2 - Good outside shooter.
3 - Makes reads off of the pick and roll.
4 - Able to finish near the hoop.
5 - Screener for pick and roll.
- 3 is the inbounder
- 4 screens for 1
- 1 comes off the screen to get the ball on the wing.
- 4 pauses for a brief second, then clears to the other side.
- Fake Handoff Option:
- 1 fakes the hand off to player 3 and attacks the hoop.
- Pick and Roll/Pop Option:
- 1 hands the ball off to 3.
- 5 sets a pick for 3.
- 3 & 5 run the pick and roll or pick and pop.
- 1 clears to the wing as a passing option.
Before running the fake handoff option, it helps to run the play all of the way through a couple of times. The defense will start to cheat towards the handoff which will open a clear lane for the drive by 1.