All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 09:34 

Hi looking for a good offensive plays for man to man league.The ymca league is 13 16 yr olds,some have skill,others are just beginning or have little skill.I was thinking a motion offense but don't want to complicate it to much for the inexpieriencedI have basically a 2 good post players and a good shooting guard.2 girls that have played jr high ball and are ok and 2 others that have played youth but lack fundamentals.They all have to play .I only have 1 practice aweek for an hourThey try to divide the teams equally so no team is dominating,I coached some of the kids before.So I have 8 players.I was going to play my best 5 to start with one of the girls I believe its 10 min.quarters with mandatory subs at 5 min.I have one special needs kid who is just happy to play and I have to play him when hes not a liability.Any suggestions would be great.Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 16:35 

There is a really good horns play that can be used against any defense.

Line up in the horns set, the two post players offer a choice of high ball screen for the point guard to come off of. The point guard turns the corner looking to score. As the point guard comes off that screen, the two wings either drift toward the baseline/short corner/3-point corner (it's a read based on what their defender does to help). The post that does not get used as the screener runs to the rim. The post that is used as the screener pops to the high post.

The point guard has the option to attack and score. Based on who comes to help, he can dump to one of the wings or hit the backside post running to the rim. If there is a switch and the point guard gets leveled off, the wing runs at the point guard and receives the dribble handoff.

If you teach them to leave an area and replace, and once the ball swings back, the posts can start interchanging, it was an effective offense that worked against man and zone. I ran this in a park district league and it was the only offense we needed. Good against man, 2-3 zones, odd front zones. It was simple and able to work with minimal practice time, which is what you deal with in YMCA leagues.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 17:12 

briansass wrote:
There is a really good horns play that can be used against any defense.

Line up in the horns set, the two post players offer a choice of high ball screen for the point guard to come off of. The point guard turns the corner looking to score. As the point guard comes off that screen, the two wings either drift toward the baseline/short corner/3-point corner (it's a read based on what their defender does to help). The post that does not get used as the screener runs to the rim. The post that is used as the screener pops to the high post.

The point guard has the option to attack and score. Based on who comes to help, he can dump to one of the wings or hit the backside post running to the rim. If there is a switch and the point guard gets leveled off, the wing runs at the point guard and receives the dribble handoff.

If you teach them to leave an area and replace, and once the ball swings back, the posts can start interchanging, it was an effective offense that worked against man and zone. I ran this in a park district league and it was the only offense we needed. Good against man, 2-3 zones, odd front zones. It was simple and able to work with minimal practice time, which is what you deal with in YMCA leagues.

Just a thought.

Hi is there a diagram for this horns set thanks

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 17:16 

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/HornsOffense.html

Try this. Some of the diagrams do not match up to what I described. For example, the roll, my offense rolls the post that does not set the screen, and fades the screener to the top. But the set-up is correct, and the offense does a nice job. Yours to make as complicated or as simple as you think it needs to be.

With a few good rules (leave an area and replace, pass and basket-cut or relocate), you can keep a simple form and have a pretty decent motion.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 18:40 

Hi thanks looks like a good play for the kids I will try it at practice next week.Appreciate the help