All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 11:49 

Hi my name is Tyrell and im 6'4 around 197 pounds and play guard/forward. I wanted to know is playing basketball everyday a bad thing because there was a time where I would wake up at 6:30 in the morning and head to the gym and workout and then practice skills. It was fun because I was doing what I loved but then I felt sluggish and couldn't perform like my normal self. I decided to be more light with my training. I train now 3-4 days out the week on skills and workouts and rest on the other days. I feel great but idk if I'm doing the right thing my taking days off to recover. In my practices I do all my drills as hard as I can and wind up being finish in a hour and a half. Afterwards I workout my body lifting weights etc. Is my 3-4 days better for me or should I become more aggressive with my training?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 13:29 
Site Admin

Tyrell, it sounds to me like you have it figured out.

What is the purpose of practice? To make you better for the game. If too much practice is resulting in burnout, definitely cut back which it sounds like you did.

Everybody is different. Some players can work out 6 days a week and be fine. Others have trouble working out more than 3 days per week. Personally, I burnt myself out with too much practice, but I wasn't smart enough to make the adjustment like you did.

Keep the workouts short (45 minutes to 75 minutes) and intense.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 06:55 

Tyrell -

I agree with Joe. IF you overtrain you will find a place where you have diminishing returns.... not to mention that its not healthy. You have to give your body and chance to recover.

I thought that when you lifted weights you were supposed to do that every other day.

So, YOUR cutting back is a great idea...I think cutting back to 3-4 days is fine.... IF you feel like you NEED to do more, do some shooting and keep it short..... maybe free throws one day, post moves another day?

Remember, this game is supposed to be FUN. I love your desire to make yourself better, more players should feel this way..... but there are other things in life too..... make sure you give yourself time to do other things.