All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 10:05 

My son is working on a science fair project. His question is: Do you shoot better with or without a net? We wanted to know your professional opinion. Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 10:51 

I feel any visual change to your shooting perception will affect your shot. Clear plexy-glass backboard vs white plastic backboard, backboards with or w/o a shooting square, lighting, depth of the wall behind a backboard...etc.
All these things can throw off a shot at first...but after repititions a good shooter would make the necessary adjustments. Shooting without a net wouldn't be as accurate at first but I'm sure over time the shooter would make adjustments and zero in on his/her accuracy.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 13:48 

kd -

Coach A has pretty much said it all.... Just off the top of my head I would say that you would shoot a lot better with a net than without. I wonder aboput the kids on some playgrounds where the riim doesn't have a net ..... doies it make a difference to them? Its all about what you are used to. IF you are a good shooter you will have good muscle memory and that is what makes you a good shooter. Doing the same thing every time regardless.

Is your son a player? IF so, how well does he do from the free throw line? Tell him to take several shots concentrating on his form... then close his eyes and shoot some. It will seem weird at first but once he gets used to it.... I would bet that he would do pretty well.

Jeff - you were / are a good shooter? Have you or Joe ever tried this?