All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 08:27 

I am currently working with a couple 14 and 15 year old males who are just playing really slowly. They go slow motion on passing, defensive slide, shooting, EVERYTHING! I try to time stuff and get them to speed up, but nothing seems to really help. Does anyone have any helpful/hints on how to get players to play faster?

I drill the fundamentals hard so even if they rush through a drill incorrectly I will stop them and correct their form/technique, but it is almost like watching them solve an Algebra problem in their head where it takes 2-3seconds for everything to "click" and for them to react to something that happened 3seconds ago.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 12:35 

First question I would ask... are they slow to begin with? How much do they understand the game? Do they know why you are running these drills? Are they competitive? Do they really WANT to learn the game? How much experience do they have playing the game?

It sounds like they don't understand what you are trying to teach, that is usually the reason people do things slowly.. so they think it through so they will do it right. Maybe simplify the way you are explaining it? KISS method?

Try some very simple things and work on them doing it quicker -
I would start with some very simple footwork drills... like jumping over lines (back and forth) jump roping etc. Make every drill competitive once they understand it. Patience is the key here, especially if they are very inexperienced.

They rather do it slowly and do it right than fast and do it wrong? When I was a freshman in high school taking a typing class... I would read a sentence, look down at the keyboard and they type it. The teacher saw this and asked me why I was doing it that way... I told her I didn't want to make any mistakes and ruin my grade. She told me that she would give me an A IF I would NOT look at the keyboard and learn it. I did it her way, learned the keyboard and got my A!