All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 08:52 

Hi Coach,

Thank you so much for the great contribution to the game of basketball. Iam a coach in Uganda and as per my subject, I would love to get your insight on how to stop teams that run a good transition and play full court press.

Thanks,
Coach Gad

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 09:15 

First of all... work on your press offense until you can do it in your sleep.... IF you can break it for a lay up - go for it... IF NOT, bring the ball back out and run your offense - making X number of passes....

CONTROL the TEMPO ..... reverse the ball several times... most teams can play D for a short period of time... but once you make them play D on 6-8 or more passes their defense will break down.....they will either get antsy and over play, take chances, or they will get lazy and lay back, either way, you are a winner here.... you have taken them out of their game.....

Teams that like to run don't like to play a lot of D ..... AND then they have a tendency to take quick shots and have poor shot selection.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 09:46 
Site Admin

You can also look at this article for ideas on beating a full court press:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/press-breaker.html

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 03:26 

Hi coach.Thanks for that insight.i sure will be working on that and force my guys to make the extra pass to stretch the defense further.
Just a quick one too,do you think you can me some isolation plays for the bigs and is also wise to run a 2in 3out set on such a team to pile more rebounding pressure on them and force them to play defense.
Coach Gad from Uganda
Coach Sar wrote:
First of all... work on your press offense until you can do it in your sleep.... IF you can break it for a lay up - go for it... IF NOT, bring the ball back out and run your offense - making X number of passes....

CONTROL the TEMPO ..... reverse the ball several times... most teams can play D for a short period of time... but once you make them play D on 6-8 or more passes their defense will break down.....they will either get antsy and over play, take chances, or they will get lazy and lay back, either way, you are a winner here.... you have taken them out of their game.....

Teams that like to run don't like to play a lot of D ..... AND then they have a tendency to take quick shots and have poor shot selection.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 06:08 

Coach,

I was a proponent of the 3 out 2 in motion along with an open post - 5 out when we had no real post players..... that will stretch any D. With 2 bigs 3 -2 is good - I would try to set up a lot of hi low situations with your bigs.... that is hard to defend, puts a lot of pressure on the D and is a great way to isolate a good post player.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 04:51 

Coach
thanks alot for your advice.we played that team on friday and won the game..now we have three more crucial games this week to make playoffs.
I just need a quick one here,what are some of the drills you would teach to improve one on one offense to defense transition and also how would you approach a team that heavily relies on one or two guards to create their points,make plays for em and also score well over 25pts per game,10assts,6rebs.They also play a sagging man to man defense and run alot of transition.
Thanks again for the advice.
Gad
Coach Sar wrote:
Coach,

I was a proponent of the 3 out 2 in motion along with an open post - 5 out when we had no real post players..... that will stretch any D. With 2 bigs 3 -2 is good - I would try to set up a lot of hi low situations with your bigs.... that is hard to defend, puts a lot of pressure on the D and is a great way to isolate a good post player.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 06:21 

Congratulations on the victory, what worked well for you in this game?

We played a couple of teams that were very good breaking out.... when we practiced our offense....half court scrimmage - we put an extra player at half court and one more extra player out of bounds under the basket - the one out of bounds had a ball..... when we shot and made it, the guy out of bounds just tossed it to the guy at half court..... and the guy that gets the ball on offense just steps out..... same thing when we missed... IF they rebounded our miss.... he just held it and the guy out of bounds would throw it deep.
THAT forced our player at the top to get back fast and another player that we designated... usually our 2 man.We tried to force them to play us in a half court setting.... advantage us.
I'm not sure what age group you coach so I hesistate to say this.... ( I was a boys varsity coach ) when we ran into a situation where two people were scoring the majority of their points.... we added a triangle and two to our defensive scheme - which was m2m and a 1-3-1 match up zone. Where do they get most of their points? 3s? Driving to the basket?

IF they are sagging they would be telling me to shoot from the perimeter.... they wont allow me to get the ball inside or break them down off the dribble. I would penetrate and kick it out to my best 3 point shooters - and we ran an Open Post offense.... I didn't care what the score was..... I would control the tempo and wait until we got the shot we wanted. UP Tempo teams don't like to play D for extended periods of time... they want to get out and shoot it. IF you slow down the tempo, you force them to play A LOT of D, when they get the ball they are now anxious to shoot it and will take ill advised shots.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 01:55 

Thanks Coach,
One of the things that worked well for us was that we slowed the game to our favour and that bored them alot.we made between 5-7passes before we scored and ensured that the guys were frequently moving.we also attacked the boards forcing their guys who dont like to play D to play a little more D.On a missed shot we would pressure the outlet passer and deny the recipients forcing them to put the ball down most of the time while advancing it up front.

As regards our next game and my team,its a semi pro team i coach so my oldest guy is about 35yrs and youngest is 24.These opponents get points from the 3 and drives to the basket and also have two youthfull post players who are racking up a combined 35points per game.

I run a 2-3 zone with traps,so i dont know if that will slow them down abit,your thoughts on that will be good.
Gad
Coach Sar wrote:
Congratulations on the victory, what worked well for you in this game?

We played a couple of teams that were very good breaking out.... when we practiced our offense....half court scrimmage - we put an extra player at half court and one more extra player out of bounds under the basket - the one out of bounds had a ball..... when we shot and made it, the guy out of bounds just tossed it to the guy at half court..... and the guy that gets the ball on offense just steps out..... same thing when we missed... IF they rebounded our miss.... he just held it and the guy out of bounds would throw it deep.
THAT forced our player at the top to get back fast and another player that we designated... usually our 2 man.We tried to force them to play us in a half court setting.... advantage us.
I'm not sure what age group you coach so I hesistate to say this.... ( I was a boys varsity coach ) when we ran into a situation where two people were scoring the majority of their points.... we added a triangle and two to our defensive scheme - which was m2m and a 1-3-1 match up zone. Where do they get most of their points? 3s? Driving to the basket?

IF they are sagging they would be telling me to shoot from the perimeter.... they wont allow me to get the ball inside or break them down off the dribble. I would penetrate and kick it out to my best 3 point shooters - and we ran an Open Post offense.... I didn't care what the score was..... I would control the tempo and wait until we got the shot we wanted. UP Tempo teams don't like to play D for extended periods of time... they want to get out and shoot it. IF you slow down the tempo, you force them to play A LOT of D, when they get the ball they are now anxious to shoot it and will take ill advised shots.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 06:27 

I liked your game plan Gad ... make them play D! Most guys don't want to do that for any extended period of time. I would use that same philosophy in the next few games too. Make them play your style. Teams hate to be dictated too....

As regards our next game and my team,its a semi pro team i coach so my oldest guy is about 35yrs and youngest is 24.These opponents get points from the 3 and drives to the basket and also have two youthfull post players who are racking up a combined 35points per game.

It seems like this next team has a lot of weapons... inside and outside..... Sometimes we have to pick our poison.... IF this was me, I would make sure that they don't get the ball inside ( or as little as possible ) stop the drives and force them to beat you from the arc. Its hard to stop everything but at least you can say that IF they are going to beat me, they are going to have to shoot well from the "3" ---

Pack your defense and pressure the guy with the ball.... ?? Pack your defense and challenge the 3 point shooter .... thats how I see your options here.... I would control the tempo again...... 3 point shooters like to get in a zone so to speak..... but if they are not getting their touches and shots, they become antsy and will take bad shots. Shorten the game - keep yourself in the game to the end and then do what you need to do going down the wire.

Thats how I would play this game.... what are your thoughts?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 06:12 

Coach,
Totally agree with you.Picking our poison is the way to go because the two post players i told you about have the best shots in the league actually,so we run a defensive scheme yesterday that does not allow easy passes to the post and also forces them to play mostly from the outside.Today is the final prep for the game and i sure would like to try and ensure that the guys slow down the tempo of the game the way we did in the last game.I just also got the video of the last game and so we will watch it before the game tomorrow,although am thinking of letting the guys also watch our last years final championship game and challenge them not to allow anybody take away that moment from them? Your thoughts on this ASAP will be great.

Also if it were you in this position,what would you tell your guys?

Thanks alot.
Coach Sar wrote:
I liked your game plan Gad ... make them play D! Most guys don't want to do that for any extended period of time. I would use that same philosophy in the next few games too. Make them play your style. Teams hate to be dictated too....

It seems like this next team has a lot of weapons... inside and outside..... Sometimes we have to pick our poison.... IF this was me, I would make sure that they don't get the ball inside ( or as little as possible ) stop the drives and force them to beat you from the arc. Its hard to stop everything but at least you can say that IF they are going to beat me, they are going to have to shoot well from the "3" ---

Pack your defense and pressure the guy with the ball.... ?? Pack your defense and challenge the 3 point shooter .... thats how I see your options here.... I would control the tempo again...... 3 point shooters like to get in a zone so to speak..... but if they are not getting their touches and shots, they become antsy and will take bad shots. Shorten the game - keep yourself in the game to the end and then do what you need to do going down the wire.

Thats how I would play this game.... what are your thoughts?