All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 01:40 

Hi coaches, I am looking unsuccessfully for some theory called Coaching underdogs. I have found few articels in the past , but they are not available any more. Is there someone who could give some advice, thanks Martin

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 05:51 

Martin,

What age group are you working with? As a varsity coach I would look at what the other team did and then I would devise a game plan to take them out of what they do best.. along with attacking any weaknesses I felt they had.

I think a lof of it depends on your philosophy and the talent level you are working with. Some coaches would say, don't worry about the other team, do what YOU do best..... as for me, thats ok up to a certain point... but if you are the underdog most of the time you better find a way to give your kids a chance at the W.

I always felt that the measure of a good coach is just that... someone who gives his chance to win the game at the end. There were a few things that I felt were important to do that.
1- Control the tempo of the game
2- Handle pressure/limit your turnovers or WIN the turnover battle
3- Get a good shot every time down the floor by the right people... make sure they are taking shots they CAN make.
4- Control the boards or at least hold your own.
5- Loose balls had to be ours.
6- Take a charge at every opportunity.

Is this what you are looking for?