All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 00:24 

Wow pressure basketball in the 7th grade. The only other advice i can offer , is that teams that press, usually dont like to be pressed..perhaps you may want to develop a press of your own although at this age I dont recommend it..this is the time to enjoy playing not worrying about pressure..coach mac

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 09:48 

I always thought I had my teams prepared also.... but in my first year as Varsity coach I realized just how important that is...

From my first game where we got pressed and took us out of most things we wanted to do I vowed that I would NOT let that happen again. That loss was on me and I hate losing a game where it is my fault... the players should decide the game.

So, every practice from that point on, we devoted 10-15 minutes a day on our press offense... one day vs zones and one day vs m2m.
We still got beat at times but NOT because we couldn't handle some teams press. Our kids would just smile and go about handling their press very methodically... IF we were good enough vs some teams we made them pay dearly... which is what you want to do, but if you cant do that.... we brougth the ball up the court under control and got into our offense.

Work on it every day till they can execute in their sleep.

Ken

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 14:28 

I would also like to add some things. Players must be taught to attack but they must also know when to escape. Continue teaching your players trap spots on the floor but add a pull back dribble to each player. By pulling the ball back and teaching to reverse the ball to a player behind the pressure and then look diagnal it can relieve some of the pressure. I like for my players to think attack, attack, and then skip. You can similuate this in practice by only players two dribbles during scrimmage and stressing bounce passes.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 07:22 
Site Admin

Here's a press breaker resource that I think will help you:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/press-breaker.html

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 17:44 

One last thing coach, Yes I know Ken I always have to have the last word.

Make them find new ways to beat you, remember, pressing teams are creatures of habit. If they stop you by trapping the player who receives the ball from the in bounder, then do something different the next time. Always make them find new ways to beat you. Further, remember after they have scored, you are allowed to run the baseline, develop a play where you have another player step out of bounds and pass to him along the baseline and then run your press break from there. Surprise and change, surprise and change. Coach Mac