All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 00:23 

I discussed why some of my players (12 to 14yold) wont take the ball in for a drive when they see the opportunity like they make a good position and split 2 defenders.
Many said the are hesitant or have some fear (this wasn't a fear like fearing the boogie man or clowns :)) I sensed a fear of can i do this? what happens if I lose the ball?
Any advise of how to respond to this and how to build the confidence to take the chance?
Thank you in advance

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 16:35 

Work on the dribbling separately with a second coach or helper. Have your players spread out on the baseline each with a ball. Have them dribble on your whistle (in place - they're not moving), then have the coaches go along the line and push them a bit, slap the hands/arms. You're not going nuts here, but just hassling them while they dribble. Make sure they protect the ball with their off-hand. Essentially, you're getting them used to dribbling with some basic contact. They shouldn't easily be knocked off balance if you give them a slight shove.

Then, I'd do a drill having them drive towards the basket with contact. One coach is at the FT line, another coach is halfway down the side they will be driving on. The player starts halfway on the opposite side they'll be driving on, comes across the key passing coach #1, then drives on the side with coach #2. Coach #1 has a football blocking pad and makes contact, coach #2 is slapping wrists and making some type of contact. The deal here is you tell them to, "Expect contact!" and "The refs won't rescue you" and "We expect you to make the basket, no excuses". You'll have to decide how much contact they can handle at first, but the whole point of these drills is to get them used to contact.

Make it harder than it will be in a game.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 16:50 

Thanks coach Robb sounds like a good starting point and im sure that will lead to some further ideas.
Thanks for replying

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 14:28 

You bet! Same with shots or passing. The harder you make it in practice, the easier it becomes in a game.