All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 10:56 

I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of good teaching points and technique for shooting both jump hooks and hook shots. I also, would like some good teaching points on blocking shots from a technical perspective. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 11:23 

I will talk about blocking shots here.... there were not a lot of shot blockers from my teams.... but we loved to challenge the shooter.... get our hand(s) up high and challenge the shot. We wanted the shooter to adjust his shot and not get a clean look. The last thint we wanted to do was foul the jump shooter.

Hubie Brown put it this way...... 'NEVER FOUL THE JUMP SHOOTER!"

We told our players to go straight up and NEVER bring your hand down. Make sure the shooter was off his feet. Now, thats just me.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 12:25 

On the hook shots, I'd just search youtube for vids. Hooks usually boil down to a lot of practice so it becomes routine.

On blocking shots, players tend to use their strong hand which gets them out of position, especially the big guys. They turn sideways which I don't like. Honestly, if you can teach them to block shots with their weak hand, it keeps them more square to their defender. I'm not a big fan of the whole shot blocking thing at the younger levels. See a lot of players get out of position, rather have them do a good close out and try to change the shot vs going for the crowd pleasing swat.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 00:23 

Hi Coaches,

One of the teaching points we utilise is to make sure when you land to perform a hook shot to always have your shoulders in a line to the basket. This means you are essentially side on the the basket. This places as much distance as possible between the defender and the ball.

The position of the ball is also an important aspect in keeping the defender away. A key teaching we use is hip, shoulder, ear and up. This provides a road map for how the ball is moved up one side of the body (furthest from the defender).

On the release the offensive layer can rotate slightly to the basket.

The mechanics of the shot are up and over, not flicking flat at the hoop.

There are others steps but these are two of the more important. Then it becomes about perfect practice and competitive practice.

Regards

Functional Basketball Coaching
Twitter: @funbballcoach

Like Us on Facebook TODAY!