All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:23 

Quick question. In teaching the crossover I'd like your thoughts as to teaching a low crossover in tight spaces versus a more full steam open court one. How best to convey this. There are occasions for both but am I over reaching. Love your guys advice any thoughts would be great.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:27 

When we worked on ball handling / dribbling with our players I always told them... the closer the defender - the lower your dribble should be. Does that help?

These are young kids so don't expect D. Rose moves haha

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:53 

Helps a lot. Thanks Coach!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 10:01 
Site Admin

I think you work on both -- vary the angles, distance, etc. One day we might work on tight cones so there are lots of tight low cross overs (good thing about this is you get lots of reps). Then next day we might do chairs and have them wide. The next day we might have a course that combines all kinds of different changes of direction, back up dribble, etc. You just never know what situation you'll run into on the court.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 11:46 

You guys are terrific. I was just looking for ways to get the kids comfortable in different situations that will arise in the course of a game. Varying angles and distances of obstacles seems to be just what I was looking for. Closer the defender lower the ball is a simple enough vocal cue. Nice to know there are other basketball junkies out there!