All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 19:39 

6th grade girls very athletic not very tall but fast and have pretty good fundamentals of the game. Mostly play m2m d but if looking to go to a little zone trap any suggestion of what would be the best for a quick but small team. 1-3-1 or maybe 3-2 let me know what you think. I realize most of your answers will be stay in a m2m but if i choose to zone up what do you think. Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 19:41 

Stay m2m.... but IF you really HAVE to... go 1-3-1.

Cant you trap out of a 1-3-1 and rotate?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 20:20 

Coach sar I knew that would be your response and I most likely will stay m2m but i like to be prepared and I think the more the girls can learn can't hurt Thanks again

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 20:26 

Sorry all what a good spot to put a defensive question in basketball offense sorry wasn't pay attn. must of been reading something in there.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 06:03 
Site Admin

Most 6th grade girls I've seen need to work on their footwork, shooting, ball handling, and passing. Some, not all, aren't even ready for 5on5 basketball. Not to mention, they need to learn how to move.

I would take the time you allocated to work on the zone and do skill work.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 07:18 

Good points Joe..... we always talked about the KISS method...Fundamentals should be your #1 goal.... and getting them ready to play at the next level... and then there is this - HAVE FUN.

I can remember when I first started coaching this game.... I was young and stupid I guess..... lots of zones until I started watching the high school teams in the area... and they were playing m2m.... THAT changed my whole philosophy. It was at that point that some of my better kids started making their high school teams.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 17:05 

believe me skills are worked on everyday. weather its dribbling (extra work on weak hand) passing and all the girls were taught and expected to use both hands on layup left for left side and right on right side. Winning is not my main focus its to improve them so they are ready for the next year but in saying that you play a tournament the girls want that trophy so I give them drills to improve thier skills and let them compete.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 19:07 

I agree with Joe. I have coached girls at the age group and while they may have various skills, the footwork is lacking.

I am glad you have such a great site which emphasizes the basics including footwork or what we call agility training. It's very important for them to be able move smoothly.

I certainly would encourage you to stick with m2m and work on other skills.

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 09:28 
Site Admin

I try to coach by these words when working with kids below the high school level. "Coach to develop players. Let the players play to win."

To me this means that, I'll rotate different players for starters and finishers. I'll play different players at different positions. I'll run an offense or defense that may not get them the win, but will help them be better basketball players over the long-run.

However, I don't know your situation. Some coaches use a zone, because they want the kids to be able to compete. My old high school coach did this. Doesn't mean I didn't give him crap about it. :)

Some coaches believe that they need to instill the winning attitude in their players and will use whatever offense or defense they feel they need to get the competitive advantage. Personally, I've seen kids get burned out on this method, so I'm opposed to it.

If you want to win as the coach, run a 1-3-1 half court trap. On average, players at that age are too weak to beat the pressure with passes, are not skilled enough in ball handling and footwork, and can not mentally process things quickly enough to effectively beat the trap.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 20:39 

Joe I agree with you its all about developing the kids and it never stops. For myself with this age I get more excited when a kid executes a give and go and I don't worry about the ball going in but moving without the basketball be able to make the perfect pass. I don't have really any set plays on O just have them pass and cut to the hoop always touching paint. I teach the heck out of defense from the stance to communication to slides etc...