All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 09:23 

I just completed my first season with my 5-6 yr kids. What a great experience. In our league, we've been playing at the 8 ft. rims and that's been a real challenge all season long, but most of our kids have adapted and developed tremendously in the last 3-4 months. Since I took over the team about 3 months ago, I wasn't completely up to speed with all the rules and different divisions of our leagues. My main focus was to do what I could to teach them all the basic fundamentals and made sure they were having fun doing it. Here comes the doozie, I was just informed that our kids starting next season (this Sept) will be required to shoot at the regulation 10 ft rim. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My kids are barely even hitting the 8ft rims with any consistency. How do they expect my kids to hit a 10ft in 6 month time frame. I'm lost for words on this issue. I've talked to a few coaches in the organization and came across different views and opinions about this, but the majority of them agreed to this progression.

Where do I go from here? What can I do to get our kids ready for this next level? Can you please suggest any drills/exercise I can have them do? I have a weighted trainer basketball. Does that help or hurt their development, especially at this age?

Your feedback is always appreciated

Coach Tim

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 14:03 

Tim,

All they have done is shown their lack of knowledge about how kids learn and what they can and cannot do.

Tell them to try shooting a 13lb ball at a 15 foot basket and see how much success they have.

IF I were you I would try and find someplace else for your kids to play with 8' rims and smaller balls. I would suggest that all the coaches and administrators invest in Bob Bigelow's DVD on Coaching Youth Basketball, then sit down and watch it.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 03:21 

Hello Coach Tim

I agree with coach Sar. If your league wants to develop bad habits then they should go with that plan. In my opinion as a coach you should continue coaching on your 8 ft goal and build the right fundamentals along with making it fun. I would say get the parents involve and explain to them how important it is to keep the goal at an age appropriate level and hope they rally behind you and the other coaches. A league cant exist without the parents willing to pay for it, in my opinion that is your best bet. I hope it all works out and the people who run the leagues come to their senses.

Brian M

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 12:10 

The Bigelow DVD is definitely illustrative on this point (and quite amusing!). I think the segment where the parents are trying to shoot medicine balls is up on youtube somewhere.

Hoops should really follow the soccer model which is much smarter about adjusting the game to fit the age, skill and physical development of the kids. When my kids started soccer they played on small fields with mini-goals and small balls. Sides were limited to 4 v 4 to maximize touches. Other rules -- no goalies, no offsides, kick instead of throw ins -- were changed. As they get older, there are adjustments made gradually but it is not until they are 12 before the full adult rules and scope apply.

In basketball, the only accommodation appears to be ball-size and some leagues league prohibit presses and go easy on traveling (actually that last one I don't agree with because it becomes much harder later to untrain the happy feet and learn proper pivoting) . For some reason the height of the basket appears sacrosanct and efforts to change that are viewed as naive or unserious.

Too bad because some of the bad habits get in early age (like poor shooting form) then have to unlearn are directly attributable to this fixed adult mindset.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 18:12 

I coach 7-8yr olds and we are also forced to play on 10ft rims. Many of my kids struggle with getting the ball to the rim and the few that can get it up there struggle with shooting any further out than the paint.
Should I lower the rims to 8ft in practice to help with shooting form? Should I use a weight basketball?

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations to help?

--Coach Reggie

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 06:15 
Site Admin

Definitely lower the rims to around 8 or 9ft. And use a smaller / lighter basketball.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/basketballs/size-chart.html
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/youth-basketball-sizes.html