All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 11:48 

It looks like the average player has VERY limited skills in the areas of shooting, passing and dribbling, especially shooting. I feel it is necessary to simplify the drills as we need to learn how to perform each task right. For kids with a short attention span what (are there) any fun drills for shooting, dribbling, and passing? I feel like we need to do everything stationary rioght now, except dribbling. For instance, they all do not have the skill of shooting down of course so combing dribbling with a bank shot a rebound and an outlet pass gets hairy in brief period of time.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 21:23 

That's a difficult age. IMO they just aren't physically ready to play. Key is to keep it fun. I'd try the following:

Dribble "Tag" -- where on player is "it" trying to get the ball from the others.
Competitive Mikan drill -- break them into teams and try to "beat the coach" or see who can make the most shots in a certain period of time.
Follow the leader dribbling -- one player leads the rest around the court dribbling.
Stuff like that -- make each drill a game rather than a "drill."

Good luck, you'll need it. :)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:41 

Thanks, knowing that they are not physically ready to master all the skills lets me throw some of that perfectionist in me out the door. Hopefully some of those games/drills can be fun for the kids.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 14:33 
Site Admin

I agree with everything golfman says. You may want to take a look at this article as well:

Should We Teach Basketball Skills to Kids Under the Age of 10?

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/should-we-teach-basketball-skills-to-kids-under-the-age-of-10/

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 15:28 

golfman25 is right, at that age you have to lower your expectations big time and make sure the kids are having fun while learning. I'd make 99% of your drills more like fun games. here are a few suggestions:

-Keep away from coach. Kids in a circle, coach in middle. If the kids make 3 successful passes (no intercepts by coach which only happens every third time or so) coach has to do 5 pushups with kids counting. If kids make a bad pass, they have to do 5 jumping jacks.

-Body part or number dribbling. Kids all dribbling. Coach holds up fingers - kids have to shout out number of fingers. Coach can also touch his head, ear, chin, chest, or nose - kids have to mimic with non dribbling hand.

-Two teams, two circles, one ball for each team. Teams compete to see how many passes they can make in 30 seconds.

-Come up with a cool team name, get a mascot. Bring it to all your games and include it when you do the "good game" deal. We were the Flying Burritos one season; kids had a blast with our our giant flying burrito mascot.

Good luck!

CRob

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 15:40 

Thanks so much, that was some great information. I need to use my imagination a little bit here.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 08:29 

What I do is basically take a childhood game that we all grew up with and throw in a basketball or two and have some fun.

Anyway, here is a list of fun dribble games that kids can identify with. I've had success with all these fun drills right up to the 5th grade level. Again, dribbling basics, both static and in motion dribbling must be taught first.

-Dribble Numbers- players stand in circle, each with ball, they bend forward and dribble the shape of whatever number you call out. Right and left hand.

-Dribble Letters- same as above, but you call out letters and they focus on ball control and dribble the shape of the letter that you call out. left and right hand

-Dribble Musical Chairs- gather some chairs, CD player, players and balls...you know the game....have fun!!

-Red Light, Yellow Light, Green Light...you know the rules!! Players are dribbling entire time.

-Dribble Tag- get creative!!

Another fun drill is to attach clothes pins to the back of each player's jersey. Each player gets two attached. Each player must always maintain their dribble as all players chase each other in a cone enclosed area on the court. Objective is to protect your clothes pin but also pull clothes pins off the back of other players. If a player gets both of his/her pins pulled off, they leave the game. Surviving player acquiring the most pins wins!!

-Dribble Catch Game- get some tennis balls, players line up across from a partner, each with ball. One partner has a tennis ball. Start with short distance from each other. They must have a catch with tennis ball while dribbling. They must toss underhand softly for this drill to be effective. This drill takes the focus, eyes and concentration off the dribbling and puts the eyes and focus on to catching the tennis ball.

-Squirt Gun Dribbling- more of an outdoor summer dribbling drill. Every girl must maintain dribbling the ball while chasing each other around squirting each other with squirt guns....absolute blast!! Again, focus and eyes are off dribbling the ball.

-Blind Dribbling- Staionary dribbling drill, close eyes and try to maintain dribble. Develops "feel" for the ball.

Good Luck!!

Make it fun!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 11:29 

Races work well. Whether they compete against each other individually or as teams. I always make the the rules of the game the principals of basketball. For instance, if we are going to work on dribbling race we will create rules such as you have to stop for 3 seconds and then go if you travel or double dribble. This helps them to paying attention to those details while competing.

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:15 

It must be a trip coaching first graders. You are very fortunate! They are so innocent at that age. You will be a true role model for them. Its best to keep practice and the game fun. Encourage parent participation too. Don't expect to much perfection from them. These guys are just learning how to socialize and get along with others. Thanks for coaching our kids!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 09:50 

Kids from the first grade are like the most pure to start out with. They have no bad habits yet and you as coach get the most difficult thing to do to teach them fundamentals. Teach them through playing, don't do exercises where they have to wait in lines.Let them all get as much ball touches as possible.

What coach A said I totally agree with, if you want to start teaching children at that age about stuff like spacing, I can only advice one thing, tag. They have to find open spaces where they have the freedom to run away. That's what I learned at least at a coaching clinic and it works pretty well, haha.

I would also advice you try throwing and catching exercises with different size balls, it will help their coordination in a long run!

Make it fun! Keep it fun! Don't win games, win hearts :-) When you win that, the players will have most fun and continue on with the game!