Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Upfake Shooting Drill
This drill is very similar to the Elbow Shooting drill, except it adds a shot fake and dribble before the shot. It provides practice in establishing a balanced, fluid, and consistent shot motion while moving into a shot in both directions. In particular, it focuses on effective footwork.
Points of Emphasis
Continually tell your players...
- Passes should be thrown to the shot pocket so that shooters don't waste energy repositioning the ball.
- Shooters should catch the ball just as they arrive at the elbow. In other words, they should be on the move.
- The left foot is the pivot foot when moving right, and vice versa.
- The upfake needs to be convincing.
- Players should cover ground with the dribble.
- The shooter should land in the same spot, or slightly in front of the spot, from which they started the shot.
- Dribble with the left hand when moving left, and vice versa.
Motivation / Teaching Tips
- Have players keep a daily record of how many shots they make from each side.
- Emphasize to shooters the importance of presenting target hands to passers.
- Encourage players to operate at game speed.
- Mix up the groups daily so that players get practice throwing to different teammates.