X Jump Shot
Teaches footwork, change of direction, shooting on the move.
Drill Instructions and Diagrams
Please note: Two balls are needed for this drill
- Put a chair on each elbow with the seat facing mid court. Put a ball on each chair.
- Player starts on the left block.
- Player cuts through the middle of the chairs, around the right chair. Player scoops the ball and takes a jump shot.
- Player then cuts directly to the right block.
- Upon reaching the block, player executes step-through footwork, cuts through the chairs and around the left chair for jump shot.
- Make hard cuts
- Step footwork on the block to get the player back to the ball, is as important as any other footwork
- Lean into your turn to make the change of direction easier and to maintain balance
- Step into shot by stepping around the chair with your inside foot
- Get low on the turn around of the chair for the jump shot and for the change of direction for the drive
- Be sure to finish your shot before taking off for the 2nd ball
- Be particular with regard to footwork. Good footwork not only means better shooting but will limit turnovers
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...