Developing a Team Covenant
Below is a list of "I CAN COMMIT" statements that we will be reviewing with our team. Without names, we will ask them to check the ones that they can commit to doing. As a staff we will review the list and the positive responses for each item. THE STAFF will then select the top 4-6 statements as a part of our team agreement and covenant. Once these are selected, I will go before the team, read the statement and ask for a show of hands of all team members that agree to this statement. This will be a public affirmation that they will support the idea.
In season if they fall off the track of the team covenant we can have short, individual meetings to talk with them about their agreement to maintain the standards of the program.
I think this is a good way to give players a voice in what the "TEAM" stands for.
I hope this is interesting to many of you.
"I CAN COMMIT" statements
Please place a check mark by any of the following statements that you feel you can commit to this season, then WHEN YOU'VE looked at them all, rank your top 5 in terms of what you think is important to having a successful season.
- I can commit to being 10 minutes early for all team events this
season including busses, meetings and practices.
- I can commit to taking care of my attitude so my teammates and
coaches won't have to.
- I can commit to my BEST EFFORT in my classes so my eligibility will
not become a problem for my team.
- I can commit to doing my best each day in practice and at games.
- I can commit to letting Coach Andrist handle the referees.
- I can commit to playing through any bad calls, small injuries and
things that don't go my way at the game.
- I can commit to supporting my teammates, even when I'm on the bench.
- I can commit to representing UW Stout in a good way when we are
traveling as a team. (This includes issues of alcohol use, relations
with fans of the home school, hotel personnel, and general rule
following when we travel.)
- I can commit to representing UW Stout in a good way when I am in the
role of being a resident of Menomonie.
- I can commit to helping my teammates when they get knocked down at
the game or in practice.
- I can commit to behavior that will HELP my athleticism and personal
development at all times. (This includes getting enough rest, eating
right, taking care of my personal health including alcohol and any
other chemical use.)
- I can commit to taking care of my behavior so my teammates and
coaches don't have to.
- When we travel, I can commit to using personal electronics in a way
that does not disturb others. (Music players, laptops, cell phones)
- I can commit to cleaning up after myself in the locker room and
helping in keeping the locker room generally clean.
- I can commit to helping in practice with putting things that we use
in practice away at the end as requested by a member of the coaching
staff. (This may include balls, ball rack, jump ropes, scoreboard,
- I can commit to face to face contact with the coaching staff or my
teammates if I have an issue to discuss.
- I can commit to "eye to eye" contact in any one on one conversation
that I have with a member of the program.
- I can commit to forgetting about small conflicts that happen in
practice as soon as I go to the locker room each day. (Part of this
means that if you can't forget about the small conflict you must then
either work the problem out with the other player that was involved,
or then involve the coaching staff to assist you in working it out.
- I can commit to treating our support staff respectfully at all
times. (Trainer, managers, athletic director, announcer, scorer, game