NOTE: This practice plan is based on specific strategy we have developed for this team and this season. Your strategy and philosophy might be different based on age level, skill level, number of players in the gym, number of baskets available, etc.
No Links Today
Sorry for not adding links to the drills today. Most of the drills are in my head and would require video for a good explanation. I did however write up some thoughts on shot selection and improving your offensive efficiency. I’ll try to get that out to you soon.
Here’s our practice plan from Day 3 (10th grade boys)…
Review core values.
Remind them about rally after practice tomorrow.
On Ball Defense (6 min)
Combo- footfire, stance, mirror, push step, dig, contest
Close outs – from defensive lines
Rebounding & Defense (30 min)
1 pass away drill (both wings go at same time)
Shell Drill Box Outs – Pass, Skip, Drive, Shoot
Ball Security / handling (20 min)
Explain ripping high or low (not middle).
– step through (rip low), back (rip high).
– step through (rip low), front pivot.
– drop step, rev pivot (rip low).
1on1 no dribble – 12 seconds each
Multi-purpose ballhandling drill (using both courts – two groups)
Footwork and Shooting (20 min)
Spin out jump hooks
Screening drill with reference defense (make the reads):
- turn down screen
- 4 back
Half Court Offense
Explain our offense.. maybe from 4 out…
– We should only take two kinds of shots… 50% or more should be within 9 feet of the basket and the rest should be WIDE open jump shots. Get out tape measure.
– someone in rebounding position on every shot
1) lay up with rebounder crashing
2) runner with rebounder crashing
3) post up with rebounder crashing
4) wide open shot with rebounder crashing
4 on 0 pass and screen away
Free Throws (20 shots)