Developing A Practice Plan
How To Develop A Winning Practice Plan With Coach Willie Williams
Coach Willie Williams has had a lot of success coaching college basketball. He has been named NCCAA Region Coach of The Year 3 times. He has also led Nebraska Christian College to the national tournament 3 years. Coach Williams will tell you on reason for his success is being to able implement effective practice plans and drills that help his players develop throughout the season.
Coach Williams takes you through his vision of how to go about creating your own basketball practice plans that will help your players buy into your program. Along with this, he explains how he adapts practices throughout the season based on what part of the season you are in.
Coach Williams passes along valuable first hand experiences of what has worked well and not worked so well in practice. Along with this he talks about the pros of filming practices, charting practice stats, and working daily on man to man principles in defensive shell drills. Williams provides invaluable insight for coaches who want to get the most out of their practices.
What you will hear in this podcast:
- :18 Intro to Willie Williams
- :59 Staying fresh physically and mentally
- 2:58 Preseason/beginning of the season practice plans
- 4:33 Dynamic stretching at the start of practice
- 5:33 Jump rope routine
- 6:34 Dynamic stretches related to basketball movements
- 8:13 Fundamentals at beginning of practice
- 9:10 High rep shooting drills
- 11:50 Getting game shots from game spots
- 13:53 Breaking down offense and defense into drills
- 15:33 The value of shell defense drills DAILY
- 18:36 Full court game scenarios to finish practice
- 20:58 Finishing with pressure FT’s
- 22:27 Static stretching for quicker recovery
- 23:48 Music for focus and energy
- 26:10 Positional breakdown in practices
- 27:55 Alabama 1 on 1 drill
- 29:54 Quote of the day
- 32:21 Should I post practice plans?
- 33:53 How detailed do I need to be with my practice plans?
- 35:53 The value of a good manager
- 37:28 Filming parts of practice
- 38:30 Charting practices to help with conversation with player
- 39:16 Adapting practices when you have 3 games in a week
- 41:58 Dealing with mental fatigue
- 44:20 How to get players to buy into your program
- 49:25 Trifecta- 3 Questions
- 49:36 What is one positive habit that you think helped you succeed
- 51:12 Name something you read or watched that influenced you the most