Why You Should Listen?
Today, nearly every professional sport incorporates mental training. The U.S. Olympic Committee now has five full-time sports psychologists, and many more athletes meet with independent specialists.
One of the best in the business, Dr. Michael Gervais, is claimed to be a secret weapon to professional athletes and sports organizations. Dr. Gervais combines state-of-the-art brain mapping techniques with an approach grounded in high-performance psychology. The result is a completely individualized performance plan that allows each person to train by fully engaging both their mind and brain toward that personal best.
Coach Pete Carroll entrusted him to help him develop a successful culture with the Seattle Seahawks. Over that period, they have created a vibrant environment that produced back to back Super Bowls and Super Bowl 48 Champions.
He recognizes that, like athletes, all of us are required to perform daily. We all navigate our own high-stakes environments and can benefit just as much with the right training. Ultimately, Dr. Gervais’ goal is to create amazing journeys for clients while exploring their boundaries of human potential.
In this Podcast, Dr. Gervais discusses how the Seattle Seahawks have been able to develop a successful culture without talking about winning. You will find out how coach Pete Carroll was able to not let a heart wrenching Super Bowl 49 destroy the culture they worked hard to build. You will learn techniques that he uses to help athletes succeed under pressure and to bounce back quickly after mistakes. There is so much great information throughout his interview. Our hope is this podcast will help coaches, parents and players to develop the proper mindset to be at your best each and every day!
Enjoy this episode of The Jim Huber Show!
What You will Hear In This Podcast
- 0:36- Who is Michael Gervais
- 1:24- Michael’s role with the Seattle Seahawks
- 2:15- The challenge of overcoming a devastating loss in the Super Bowl
- 3:17- What Pete Carroll discussed with the team to help move forward
- 4:18- How to get a team to feel the emotions of a loss but still stay connected
- 6:34- How do you get someone to succeed under pressure
- 8:20- Strategies to get an individual to remain focused on the process
- 9:36- Breaking through the fear of not being loved based on performance
- 10:54- Questions and conversations that will give an athlete mastery and control
- 12:26- How Blair Walsh can use the OODA Loop strategy to let go of his missed kick
- 13:45- Ways to get your child to know you care about them and their experience instead of their performance
- 15:29- How to use breathing to develop mindfulness and to stay in the present moment
- 17:48- A breathing technique to implement to help with being mindful
- 18:50- The difference between mindfulness and performance imagery
- 19:22- How to help an athlete with imagery to boost performance
- 20:02- Challenging story of Michael attempting to implement his mindfulness strategies in pro sports
- 21:20- Who can benefit from Performance Psychology
- 21:35- How businesses have been able to benefit from the culture that coach Carroll and Dr. Gervais has been able to develop with the Seattle Seahawks
- 22:10- How to develop the same culture that coach Carroll developed at USC and Seattle Seahawks within your program
- 23:27- The only time that the Seattle Seahawks talk about winning
- 24:53- The importance of developing one heart beat within your organization
- 25:35- The right time for an athlete to focus on technique
- 26:35- Effective ways coaches can handle players’ mistakes
- 28:32- Are you developing character or being a character
- 29:30- How we can help each other be at their best
Follow on Twitter: @michaelgervais
Get information on coach Peter Carroll and Dr. Michael Gervais applied mindset program at http://winforever.com/
Find information on Dr. Michael Gervais http://michaelgervais.com
Hit me up @jimhubershow or reply back to this email
Remember: “Let’s Make The World Better Through Sports”