All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 14:02 

I agree with your points on motivating players so they keep trying harder. I do have a quick question on another matter. Are there any drills that are focused on making quick decisions? Many kids during games are hesitating because they are unsure if they should shoot or pass or who to pass to. If they make the wrong decision then they start to lose confidence.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 14:15 
Site Admin

I don't know of any drills that improve reaction time when it comes to making basketball decisions. Maybe other coaches do. I think it depends on what you run and age level and situation, etc.

I also think it really depends on how you as a coach react to things. Are you correcting too often? Do you just need to let players play and figure things out on their own more often?

Remember, when running an offense, there is NO wrong decision. That mentality starts with you as a coach.

If you cut and nothing happens, so what? Try again. If you pass and nothing happens, so what? Try something else. If you're open and it's shot you can make, shoot it. If you're not open or not in range, don't shoot. Not much to think about there. If you miss, who cares?

I believe that is the attitude you should have as a coach. Give players freedom and frankly you can't make a mistake on offense (assuming you don't turn it over). Work it until something good happens.

In addition, I think the answer to everything is repetition. It breeds confidence. Get players lots of reps so they get comfortable.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 21:12 

I'm not sure what age level you are coaching at...but making decisions comes from playing the game. The younger your kids are the more they have to learn about the game... but it has to be fun and you need to give them a little structure along with the freedom of running your offense. IF you get upset quickly, they will react to that and worry about making mistakes.

The one thing that comes to mind for me is to run "situations" in practice.... mini games so to speak. This will help them to make sound decisions. When we did this in practice, we usually ran the situation twice. The first time I didn't say anything, after they ran it, I would discuss what we did and what we should have done IF they made poor decisions.

By running "situations" your players get to know what you want or what you are looking for. Make up any situation that you want to work on... time on the clock, score, who is winning, who has the ball and where, foul situation etc.

As for: should I pass, should I shoot, should I dribble etc. This they learn by you allowing them to scrimmage without too many interuptions or long corrections. Let them play a little bit and learn from their mistakes. They need a little freedom to learn how to play. If this doesn't make any sense to you, get back to us.

Coach Sar

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 10:00 

Depends upon the age group. Couple of suggestions:

1) scrimmage with no dribbling allowed. player must get rid of ball within 3 seconds of receiving a pass. call them on that. forces kids to get open, help and make quick decisions with passes.

2) again, depends on age of group. two groups of 5 players. form circle and see which group can complete the most passes in 30 seconds.

3) for our 3rd/4th graders we had slips of paper with the words "I'm on it!" in big bold letters. during the practice our coaches would hold those up at random times and the kids paying attention would try and snag them. kid with most at end of practice received a candy bar, etc.

-rob

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 10:36 

Just a little addition to my last post... you might try playing 3 on 3... that way they can see the floor a little better and help them make decisions. That takes 4 players off the floor and its not as congested.....This is definately a learning process, the younger the kids are the longer it will take so be patient with them.
3 on 3 forces them to move more and to help each other get open, teach these skills to the kids.... and when they are cutting to an area where they should receive the ball... have them give a hand target..... a little tip here also... once the person with the ball, (especially if he is dribbling) brings his other hand to the ball, that means he is getting ready to pass.
BE READY to receive the ball and meet the pass.
Once they are comfortable with 3 on 3 and can do the things you want.. go to 4 on 4 and repeat your process.... then you can go 5 on 5. One small step at a time coach. IF you would give us the age group it would help a lot.

Ken

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 09:33 

This is my Read and React Drill

It's a good drill for all ages!

Coach is in paint facing foul line. First player is on foul line facing out(back toward coach).
There is a line of players above top of key. First player in line has a basketball. First player in line with ball throws to girl on foul line with her back toward coach. She catches, turns, triple threat position. If coach is running up to her, she does quick upfake and blow-by move. If coach plays off of her then jumpshot, She must read the Defense and react to it quickly.

Try this drill on both elbows too.

At times I'll have my assistant coach under hoop with a big pillow or couch cushion to give the driving girls a bump as they go up.

Coach A