All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 22:51 

I need some advice on handling a lazy player. It is a 5th/6th grade boys rec. team. League mandates equal playing time. We have one player who is a bit overweight and out of shape. He doesn't hustle at all -- unless he has the ball (which is a train wreck). Doesn't get down on defense. Kind of does what he wants to -- guards who he feels like, etc. Commits a lot of fouls. Some of his teamates got upset with him and where "jawing" at him. They did not like his lack of hustle one bit. After practice, "mommy" made a complaint. I myself, was a few seconds away from a "Bobby Knight" episode -- one thing I can't handle is lack of hustle.

So what to do? At this age do we let the players handle it? Or do we as coaches instruct the players to keep quiet and let the coaches handle it? And how do we handle it? Can't really restrict playing time. If we get on him, I have a bad feeling -- apparently the parents don't see the problem. Come game time he is not going to be functional -- it will be 4 on 5. IMO it is not fair to the other 4 players. What say you?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 05:59 
Site Admin

My thought is that you need to find out what makes him tick. His work ethic was obviously learned from home so instilling anything different will be tough.

Here are ideas on things to potentially try and see what will light a fire under him. Each kid will respond to different motivation and it's up to you to figure out if/what he responds to. Scan through the list and see if there is anything you want to try.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/mental/motivate-players.html

I have been in your situation before and I feel your pain. One freshman player I had never did respond and ended up leaving the team. Probably was the best thing for the other kids but I still wish I could have connected with him. All you can do is help as many kids as you possibly can.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 07:10 

Jeff has given you some great advice here....... FIND OUT WHAT MAKES HIM TICK. Everybody has a hot button, find out what his is and then try to use it to help out this situation.

First of all.... the kids don't handle situations like this... its up to the coaches... kids can be mean at times. Maybe him being overweight has something to do with his INabilities regarding the game. I hate people who rationalize all the time... but he is a KID... 10-11 years old? He needs some guidance which he might not be getting at home? Try to show him the way - somehow. Most kids want to be part of a group and will follow what they do... the other kids need to model the behavior you want from this team... hopefully he will follow suit.. but it wont happen overnight - remember, Basketball like LIFE is a Journey, NOT a destination.

Maybe he doesn't understand the game? How many do at that age? He obviously needs some special attention IF you, he and the team are going to survive this and make any strides forward. We have all had kids that we just couldn't reach for one reason or another, home life, emotional issues etc. Be patient and try to get him to have some fun while learning the game and your philosophy.

Kids will follow your lead, so if you lose it, What will the do? When things get real tough, take a deep breath and step back for a minute and then start again.
Maybe the reason he is acting out is because he is NOT a good player? All you can do is to reach out and do your best..... then like Jeff said, help as many kids as you can.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 06:19 

Try your best to encourage him and motivate him.....but ya know...some kids are just not into putting 100% into basketball. You say he's a little overweight and lazy...well.....believe it or not you WILL get players like this once in a while on a team.....out of shape, not motivated, bad attitude, distraction, etc. One bad apple out of 10 is not bad!! Tell the other kids to keep their comments to their selves. Focus on teaching fundamentals to all the kids and if this kid does not want to put in the hard work then it is his loss. His Mom must see this lack of motivation and hustle during games so she should not have any issues with you.

Remember..it's just a youth rec league...no reason to lose your cool and go "Bobby Knight" on anyone.

Good Luck Coach!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 17:41 

Great answers but I would like to add a couple of things.

First, remember these kids are 10 and 11 years old (is that accurate). It is tough to call a kid that age "lazy." That term assumes a base level of work that he performs below. He may not, yet, have developed a work ethic. That is a development issue. He spends much more time away from you than he spends with you and it is that time which will allow him to develop that work ethic.

Do you know why he is in the league? Does he like basketball, does he need exercise, do his parents want him to develop a work ethic? Who knows? I say this so you don't develop a dislike toward the kid based on an inaccurate ideal. Kids all develop at different rates so don't compare him to other kids. I know it is a team, but it is youth recreation. I know you have kids yourself and I know you will handle the child well both as a kid and as a basketball player.

Trying to reason with a 10-year old is one thing, the parent is another. You are the coach of the team and you have to be able to take some heat and have some thick skin. Parents are enablers and do not see faults in their kids. It is not your job to point them out and don't expect parents to see them regardless what situation you put them in. When they are driving home with the kids, all their complaints will be your fault.

However, you are the coach of the team and you have the responsibility of doing what is best for everyone involved. I usually deal directly with the player but that is because I coach at ages where I treat players as adults. I have not coached little kids teams but I know I would try to reach the parent and the kid at the same time. My instinct would be that I would get the kids and the parent together in a private area of the gym, after a game or a practice and give them the road map. In speaking to the parent, in front of the child (maybe not a good idea but so few of my ideas are), I would tell her that these are the reasons her son is not playing more. If he wants to play more, he has to change his behavior. You will help him and you will teach him, but YOU are the judge for when that behavior has changed enough to merit more time. If she sees thing differently than you do, that's fine. You have to expect that. But, if she doesn't like it, she is free to take her kid home or to another team or whatever the league rules allow. But, as long as you are the coach, you set the standards.

If she doesn't agree, let her coach. Let everybody complain to her. If she doesn't want to coach, tell her to be quiet and wait in the car.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 20:52 

Your posts are always interesting Don...

I always like your advice.... you really need to work with young kids a couple of times... you have great insight to them and the parents... and there were many times I wanted to say that to parents and people in the stands (if not worse) but in todays temperature... that wont fly..... but I sure do love the thought.

Thats pretty much why when people ask me if I miss coaching now... I tell them NO WAY..... the kids are different (but I could deal with them) parents are unrealistic (to say the least) and the administration shows NO loyalty....... I love the game but its time for some new blood.

I just pretty much ignored them all..... did my own thing...... few people understand the game well enough to under stand what we try to do... they just think they do.... SO - be patient with the kids and remember its a rec league .... let them have fun... teach them a little something about the game -don't take it too seriously .... even though I know you want to do a good job.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 21:59 

Thanks guys for the responses. I agree with what you are saying.

While it is probably true the boy hasn't yet developed a work ethic yet, now is a good time to start. It was so bad durring practice, he was walking the length of the court durring full court scrimage time. To say his teamates where upset is an understatement.

Even though it is a rec. league, I don't think that means a "do not care" league. That's what open gym is for. IMO, Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. The problem is they mandate equal playing time -- essentially taking the playing time motivational tool away.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 22:03 

Walking is unacceptable for sure ... take him out and ask him if he is ok? Do that several times and maybe he will get the idea .... IF his mother asks... you can tell her that I thought there was something wrong since he was walking and its not that kind of game.... IF He says he is ok, then you can explain to him that you don't walk in basketball games.... use it as a teaching moment.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 08:10 

Coach Don and Coach Sar,

I just became a better coach and even a better person by reading your replies on the sensitive issues of work ethic, laziness, motivation and youth development.

thank you both so much!!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 08:33 

Coach A -

Thanks for the kind words... Don and I look at things from a different perspective and he opens my eyes a lot too.

Golfman - how does this boy expect to get a shot IF he is walking up the floor? Appeal to his sense of intelligence ... maybe even make up a simple play for HIM to get a shot... see how he responds. You don't have to call it in games but at least he (and his mom) will see that you are trying to do something for him.

I'm sure all of us have had kids that were tough to deal with... even great shooters that couldn't handle the ball well, we find a way to get them involved.