All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 13:57 

Hi all. It's just about that time again, as the basketball season will be starting this coming week for me. I will be coaching 3rd and 4th graders this season and cannot wait to get started. (at least I hope they assign me a team again, as I've worked hard to establish my name within the rec dept in the past year).

Just curious if anybody has established a set of goals for their team this season. I was reading somewhere about setting goals to be great at 2-3 aspects and I really like that approach. Some of the things I am thinking about setting as goals would be: to be a great man to man defensive team, to be a great passing team, be great at rebounding.

I think with those three goals it can be a fun, successful season. Of course, those won't be our only focal points, and I might try to assign some tangible, statistical aspect to those goals during the season. I kind of have an old school approach to the game and think things are won with fundamentals and hard work, as those things can overcome a talent deficiency most days.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 15:04 

Tough age group coach, God Bless you for taking that on.

Things I think that are important for that age.... FUN #1 - passing and catching - m2m defense... pass and cut offense - ball handling - a little shooting and yes, rebounding which comes from good defense.

Good luck

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 09:43 
Site Admin

With that age group, I like to run tons of games/drills that put them in situations where they learn how to play.

From a learning perspective, they aren't ready for much technical instruction. From the literature that I've read, they progress better through guided discovery and self discovery. So you provide them with a game/situation and let them play. I also read a psychology study that said technical instruction at this age will impede their development.

For example, here are a list of 3v3 games. I also like to do 1v1 and 2v2.

- Automatic Turnover - If they don't catch and face the hoop.
- Pass and Cut - After every pass, they cut.
- No Dribbling - Teaches them how to move and pass.
- Pass and screen away - after every pass, they have to screen away from the ball.
- Pass and move - they can choose what to do.
- 3 Dribble limit - they can not take more than 3 dribbles.
- Dribble Action - If they just catch and dribble nowhere, it's an automatic turnover. They have to be dribbling to attack, get a better passing angle, or prevent a 5 second call.
- Then, you can start out the 3v3 game with down screens, back screens, ball screens, etc. However, I'm sure the games above will give you enough for the next few years.

You can also give the kids different starting positions:
- Top, Wing, Block
- Top, Wing, Opp. Wing
- Top, Opp. Wing, Corner
- Wing, Opp. Wing, Block

The combinations are endless.

Also due to strength issues and the inability to receive techincal instruction, I don't do much shooting form. I like to teach ball handling, passing, and footwork as the priorities at this age. And if you can teach a little defense, that's great.

Those are just my thoughts.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 10:57 

Thanks a lot, coaches.

I used a few of these drills last year with my 1st and 2nd grade team. I really like the no dribble 3 on 3 or 2 on 2. And we did a lot of 1 on 1 work where we stressed triple threat, attacking the basket with a few dribbles and also proper defensive stance and footwork.

I try to structure it so that within our "drills" we are learning various offensive techniques, such as: triple threat, proper passing, dribbling, pass and cut etc, so that I don't have to bother really teaching them an actual structured offense. on gameday they can use the things we do in practice and be successful without all that thinking. Last year my big thing was the give and go. You should see their faces when they do it and it actually works! Easy layup.

I like to hear somebody else saying they don't want to stress too much proper shooting form at this young age. Motor skills and athletic ability aren't even close to being defined yet so I'd much rather they just find a comfortable way to get the ball to the hoop right now.

Personally, I am always going to teach some defense no matter the age. I always want my players to understand the importance. The most I go into is proper stance and slides and after they can handle that I start working on pointing the pistols.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 11:21 

Sounds like you have your head on straight....... teach them some basic things and let them have some fun. I like what you are doing at this age.... and as the season progresses... you never know what you can add to the mix.

We used to play some 5 on 5 no dribble full court with older kids... it teaches them how to move without the ball, how to make yourself available for a pass and keep your head up. That would be to hard with your age group.

Good luck.