All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 09:24 

I am new to coaching and helping with a league of 7 to 9 year olds. I have raised my concerns that there is too much contact, but the program leadership feels that some contact is ok and that only the flagrant and hard contact will be called. I am confused on how much is acceptable at this level. I have been told that some "checking" is legal? This seems to be quite different than what I learned many years ago watching HS Basketball. Have the rules and expections changed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 12:27 

I think at this age you need to treat each kid a little different. Some kids are overly aggressive and play "rugby." Others are completely intimindated and affraid.

IMO it does absolutely no good to allow an overly agressive kid to consistently foul, foul, and foul. He doesn't learn a thing. The only way to teach him is to foul him out a few games. We played a kid who "poked" my guy in the face several times with no calls. It was stupid and the game almost got out of hand because my boy finally had enough and "pushed" back. I call it his Bobby Knight moment and guess what, the Ref started call some fouls.

On the other hand, some kids you have to let them know it is ok to be aggressive and get a foul from time to time.

At this age level, you really need to have a three way commitment between the league director, the coaches and the Refs. to have a good game. I am even happy to have them look close at my aggressive defender to make sure he plays it right without fouls. It makes him a better player. Good luck.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 14:21 

This is a tough age... they can be a little out of control at times... and unless everyone is on the same page when it comes to what contact will be acceptable and what contact will be called a foul... some players and coaches will push the envelope to get the W. They forget what they are there to do, teach the kids the right way to play the game and have fun... major issue... HAVE FUN!

You certainly don't want it to be a whistle contest.... you want some sort of flow to the game - but as coaCH goldman puts it... get rid of the Rugby game. According to the rules... "checking" is not part of the game.. boxing out contact yes... but no hand checking.

At this age level, you really need to have a three way commitment between the league director, the coaches and the Refs. to have a good game. I am even happy to have them look close at my aggressive defender to make sure he plays it right without fouls. It makes him a better player. Good luck.
This pretty much says it all.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 13:20 

7-9 yr olds huh? This is probably the number one complaint I hear from coaches regarding how a game is ref'd at that age level. You definitely don't want whistle games, it's no fun for the kids or coaches, however, the umbrella of "we're just letting the kids play" can cause serious injuries and form bad habits.

Personally, I'm ok with some bumping under the boards or when players are going for loose balls. However, at the 7-9 age level, kids are still learning how to dribble and I'm betting most aren't dribbling with their heads up. I draw the line when it comes to steals. If you have to bump a player to steal the ball, it should be called.

You could ask your league director to have the refs remind kids before a game if they're going for a steal, make it clean, can't be knocking into players to get the ball. If the game starts getting out of hand with the sloppy steals, refs should call time out and remind the kids. It's already been said, but the league director, refs, and coaches have to be on the same page.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 21:45 

Thanks for the input and suggestions. This is the last week of play and the league head is unlikely to change. Hopefully the suggestion will be taken for the next league.

Appreciate your comments.