Why You Should Listen?
In today’s society, we live in instant gratification expecting immediate success. As history has taught us it doesn’t work that way to achieve sustaining success. Coach Mike Neighbors epitomizes what it takes to not give up and stay persistent in achieving ones goals.
Coach Neighbors incredible coaching journey almost ended before it began, when he experienced a heart attack in his twenties. This brush with death breathed new life into his coaching career, motivating him to make the jump to become an assistant coach in college where his first duty was making sure the Head Coach had his Diet Coke. He has lived through a 1 and 24 season as a high school rookie head coach,and kept believing after being turned down a hundred times as a potential college coach. In this Jim Huber Podcast, you will learn how he never gave up and went on to become a respected Division 1 Coach who has created a newsletter that now reaches 70 thousand coaches in over 45 countries!
Neighbors has overseen the resurgence of the University of Washington Women’s Basketball program, including the Huskies first trip to the NCAA tournament in eight seasons. Last year, Washington won 23 games, the most since 1995 and defeated five teams ranked in the top-25 at some point during the season.
In his interview, coach Neighbors shares some powerful “Papa Neighbors” stories that have helped shape into the successful person he is today. He will let you know how he has taken his life challenges and turned them into future successes. You will find out how “WIN” has been implemented in building winning cultures at Xavier and University of Washington. He will help you understand the IY generation to be more effective in people you are teaching and coaching.
Coach Neighbors is a well-respected teacher and leader who is driven by his passion to share and grow the game. High profile coaches such as: Buzz Williams, Greg McDermott and Del Harris subscribe to his newsletter.
Enjoy this episode of The Jim Huber Show!
What You will Hear In This Podcast
- 0:22- Introduction of Coach Mike Neighbors
- 0:55- Important life lessons from Papa Neighbors
- 2:51- Turning a 1-24 season into “State Runner Up” 3 years later!
- 3:40- Almost dying of a heart attack awakens him to pursue his dream
- 4:11- Stress at the high school level compared to the college level
- 4:44- How to get the information that Coach Neighbors shares on a weekly basis
- 5:48- High profile coaches that desire to receive Coach Neighbors information
- 6:45- Coach Neighbors impact on international basketball coaches
- 8:09- What it takes to be a great assistant coach
- 10:01- Perseverance that is needed to become a head coach
- 11:41- How to focus on the “WIN” in building a winning culture
- 13:00- Systems that matter and how to measure them
- 14:35- Green Light Shooting Certified a great drill to use in defining games shots for your players
- 15:50- How coaches can live a balanced life with reduced stress
- 16:57- Toothpick was invented in Kentucky not Arkansas
- 17:28- Coach Neighbors completing the “Trifecta”
Send an email to coach Mike Neighbors at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive his weekly newsletter.