Why You Should Listen?
In competitive sports and business environments, effective leadership is an essential requirement in order to achieve organizational goals. To do this, leaders must be able to provide inspiration, motivation and clear direction to their team.
Matt Doherty was coached by the legendary Dean Smith, played alongside Michael Jordan and won the 1982 National Championship. He had a very successful run as an assistant coach for the Kansas Jayhawks helping them win 82% of their games. He was the head coach at Notre Dame, North Carolina, Florida Atlantic and SMU. Currently, he is an NBA scout for the Indiana Pacers.
In his interview, Matt Doherty shares some powerful stories, insight, and vulnerability telling how his experiences in basketball have developed him into a more effective leader. You will find out the difference between the art of coaching and the science of coaching. Understanding, this distinction will allow you to be a more effective coach.
Matt also shared his perspective on leadership being a learned skill. He knows now the positive impact that leading with emotional intelligence has on the basketball court, in business and at home with his family!
Enjoy this episode of The Jim Huber Show!
What You will Hear In This Podcast
- 0:44- Introduction of Matt Doherty
- 1:32- Jim’s appreciation of Coach Doherty’s willingness to pay it forward
- 2:48- The bad memories of NC State’s “Survive and Advance” on Coach Doherty
- 4:50- The leadership skills learned from the legendary Coach Dean Smith
- 5:48- What made Michael Jordan one of the best players to ever play the game
- 7:26- Story about Michael Jordan’s competitiveness to win
- 8:32- Turning Notre Dame Men’s Basketball around in one year
- 11:16- Returning to North Carolina to lead the tradition rich program
- 13:34- Lessons learned from being the head coach at North Carolina
- 15:48- Why college basketball was better in early 80’s when coach Doherty played
- 16:42- Troy and coach Doherty trash talk about the 1983 ACC Tournament
- 17:28- Desire to get better each day, understanding leadership is a learned skill
- 18:28- The great impact that the book Primal Leadership: Unleashing The Power of Emotional Intelligence had on him
- 18:54- The difference between the Art of Coaching vs the Science of Coaching
- 19:34- How to effectively communicate with players individually and collectively
- 21:34- How the NBA teams and College programs evaluate potential players
- 23:32- The Trifecta with coach Doherty
- 26:25- How to connect with coach Doherty
Contact Nathan Johnston at (704) 975-3620 for information on Matt Doherty’s Basketball Camp in North Carolina